Thursday, August 15, 2013

Focus Shcmokus

Wednesday’s 8 miles were usurped by a bike ride.  I really need to limit these distractions and get focused on my training plan for Marine Corps.

I had my ahem yearly exam and the usual discussion on health, medication, and activities:  Medications, all but one I’m off and I’m not giving that one up, ever.  How’s mom’s lung cancer? 6 years surviving fit as a fiddle other than the tumor, good, good.  Still running? How was the marathon? Oh you've done two, nice. Anything else, I bought a road bike and have been biking.  Nice!  Any Dualtholons or Tris in your future?  Ah, thinking more I'd work on biking to the beach and running and biking home (apparently these are called bricks) into my training but the whole swimming in the ocean thing has me a little wigged out. 

We had something to discuss during the process.  Bike routes! Doc is a biker, I've seen him out on his Saturday group rides when I run. Well I've not been very far on the bike so he suggested some routes. The Borough/Mystic, and yes the Greenhaven loop is much nicer than that narrow part of U.S. 1; Avondale/Watch Hill/Weekapaug/Noyes Neck is nice; of course Narragansett for a long ride, there are plenty of places to get away from U.S. 1 and the cars. 


Sounds like a fine plan! The plan was for both of us to be home by 6:30, finish up the rest of that fluke for dinner and go down to the park to see Taming of the Shrew (with a quick stop for cookies at McQuades).  Since I had a couple hours, Avondale/Watch Hill/Misquamicut/Weekapaug was a good goal.  


Avondale, RI

Weekapaug, RI

23 miles of beautiful views I’ll call that a good mid week ride.  I suppose I could say it was nearly an 8 mile run?  What is the ratio 3:1 bike to run?  Does that even count?  I’m not so sure.  I felt like I used my legs, I wasn't going all that fast, I probably should wear the HRM to see what my heart rate is doing.  I can’t see the watch to see the BPM, when I run and wear that fool thing it scares the crap out of me I don’t want to know, I can feel it beating and that is just fine by me.





Taming of the Shrew was well done.  Much less shouting of lines and more emotion in the voices of most of the actors.  Maybe it is being outdoors that prompts this yelling of lines?  Feh, I do love Shakespeare in the park.  The Bard meant his plays to be seen and not read.


Today was back to the track.  I found an article on track workouts and they said start with running the straights and jogging the curve, 2 - 4 laps.  It was as fun as it could have been and I enjoyed a few mile run afterwards.



Sincerely, 
Beth seriously taking a rest day tomorrow, hiking with Gizzy, he is feeling very neglected and has been telling me all about it!!


2 comments:

  1. Pretty good week for outdoor activity! Looking at biking to the beach today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been uber perfect for being outside!!

      Delete