Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Next Thing

I will be hanging up my running shoes, well not really, they just won't be getting as much mileage over the summer.  My bike on the other hand, will be getting the miles.

After receiving a Christmas card from Diane Legg questioning if I'd be interested in joining Team Lungstrong, I couldn't help but say yes and commit to the two day ride (Welleseley to PTown) and fund raising ($4,300) for the Pan Mass Challenge (PMC) August 2nd and 3rd.  Diane is a 9 year lung cancer survivor, I first met her when I ran the Providence 1/2 Marathon in 2011 and again in 2012 with Team Lung Love.  Her passion and spirit were amazing to me, and it gave me hope for positive outcomes and long term lung cancer survival.

During my taper I drafted my training plan for the PMC, lots of bike miles for sure.  I'm not sure I know what I've gotten myself into what I do know is it is for a cause I believe in and a team I am proud to be part of.

I cajoled Dave into a bike ride today, he is not a fan of the road bike, however he knows I enjoy it and I did just have a birthday and he did commit to one bike ride a week with me if he bought the road bike (to compliment the 3 mountain bikes - fat tire / single speed / 29").  I lead and set the pace, it is kind of unfair that he drafts off of me, but you'll have that, either that he'd be waiting for me to catch up.  It does give me the encouragement to push a little harder than I would while riding solo and he also can help me make adjustments.  The rule is one possibly two per ride.  Today was seat height. I changed shoes from last summer and my winter/fall boots so maybe that was the difference?  or my legs shrunk?  He has been mentioning he thought my seat was to high among a multitude of other things for a while.  See the one maybe two things rule. So anyhow 15 miles in he says, yep that seat is to high, pull off.  So I do, right into the sand at the shoulder.  Holy wow, yeah the bike comes to a standstill in the sand, how about that.  I didn't topple over, which is good.  Got out of the clips pretty damn quick.

Down went the seat and my butt stopped hurting, huh...  The second suggestion was to stop pointing my toes when I pedal.  Ok so between small and big gears I'm all confused now I'm pointing my toes?  Translate, please!  My toes are down and my heels should be down as I crank up hills.  WOW!  I don't have to drop into granny gears (big gears right?) I can use my quads between the foot position and the seat being lowered maybe 1/4 of an inch.

Sincerely,
Beth, on to the next thing, stay tuned...

7 comments:

  1. Will look forward to your posts on riding. Reminds me to start getting out on my bike myself.
    BTW, what happened with swimming? Still at it? I see a parenthetical "debating" next to Crabman - can we cross of the "debating" and replace with "confirmed"?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever observant. I haven't swam (or is it swum) in almost a month... I need to get back to that project. And then the whole open water thing... I'm pretty confident I can propel myself forward for what is it 400 meters? yards? It won't be pretty, and could possibly make a good documentary on what NOT to do!! (HA) This is still an internal debate, for sure. I'm not of that ilk that thinks I ran a marathon (well now a 50K) I can do anything... I'm not taking it off the list, yet... this is going to require some serious arm twisting or you'll have to do what Nicole does and catch me on FB after I've had a few too many drinks and ready access to my credit card (oh wait, I have a free Tri Mom race entry...)

      Delete
  2. Pleas be at Crabman!!! Ok, I am not actually registered for it yet, but am volunteering to stuff bags for the girls on the run 5k and then will register.

    I think I may be pointing my toes down too. I will have to be more aware of that today on my ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between you, Jeff, and Mike B there will be arm twisting... y'all have to not let up though... I should schedule time for the pool...

      Delete
    2. Can we use each other's Y? Maybe we can do some swimming together. If Dave is home, I don't mind heading your way.

      Delete
    3. Nicole, all Ys in New England are reciprocal. As a Westerly Y member, I've used the South County Y many times. So, Nicole and Beth, I think I've taken away your last excuse and you need to sign up! The swim at Crabman is seriously SO short! Go for it.

      Delete
    4. Well it looks like this Crabman thing may actually happen...... Guess we better get our training schedules synched Nicole!

      Delete