Sunday, June 14, 2015

Weekly Recap - 6/8 - 6/14 or Week 6 of 12 Pan Mass Challenge Training - FINAL



Run
Walk
Bike
Notes
8-Jun
5.0
1.0

TRX
9-Jun
6.1
5.6

Dog Watch Fun Run
10-Jun
3.1
3.5
20

11-Jun

2.7

Rest
12-Jun

3.8
20
Bike
13-Jun

2.8
31
Lung Force Walk
14-Jun

4

Hills

14.2
23.4
71.0
Total

I seriously have to start getting serious about training....

I'm less than 2 months out from the Pan Mass Challenge - 164 mile bike ride over two days (from Wellesely MA to Provincetown MA - funds raised benefit the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, my team, LUNGstrong raises funds specifically for the Lowe Center for Thoracic Oncology)  and just over a month out from the first of probably 3 century rides this summer.  Two of these century rides are confirmed the third is something being discussed, I think the guys may drop me from the list if I can't get my speed up!

Anyhoodles keeping track of my training plan for the 50K really kept me focused.  I can't do any catching up on miles on the bike, however I can work more towards holding myself accountable, it worked once, it should work again!




I can't get in all the weekday rides, so I figure if I get in 30 miles during the week, some may be more some maybe less, with the focus being on the weekend rides as well as hitting what really are measly miles for the week I should be ok.  Really for me this is about getting my butt in shape for the saddle.  The rest of me can handle the time on the bike and the miles, I'm confident in that, believe me, my confidence about my fitness level is low.  My confidence comes from this being a ride not a race!!

As you can see I've hit a 100 mile week once and I am woefully behind.   Next week will be tough with being in NYC all week and NH all weekend.  I may bring my bike and explore some of the Mt. Washington Century Ride route.  Probably the best idea I've had in a while?

So my week....

Monday - This stupid meeting is taking all of my time, not to mention my day job and another special project.  UGH.  I texted Dave and let him know I'd be running when I got home from TRX and then the grocery store, so go ahead and eat without me.

TRX was good, we got in a good work out as usual.  The plank curl unders are getting easier, so I need to do more, if it's easy you aren't working hard enough!

I figured I could squeeze in 3 miles before I started imploding on myself.  I managed 5 so I'm pleased.  Guess not running since Thursday night helped?  It felt good.  No breakneck speed, but then I doubt that's something I'll ever do.

Tuesday - HILLS!  Hill time.  Running Dave got his last kid married off and begged off  hills, a week of no running and checking off things on the honey do list for the future mother of the bride wore him out!  Ro joined me for 6 of the 10 hill repeats.  I did 4 on my own.  Kinda sucked kinda didn't.  They aren't easy but they weren't horrible.  I need therapy.

Dog Watch fun runs started.  I opted for a speed walk with Ro 13 minute pace per mile is what some people run at!!

Wednesday - "My running club fun runs start tonight, after being reminded no less than three times during the week hopefully I remember to go there on Wednesday night!!  I may bike into work, if I am able to get out by 6:30 so I can make my 8 a.m. meeting.  It will be touch and go...."

Biking to work didn't happen, I woke up not feeling quite right, ever get that feeling of pending doom?  Well that's what it felt like.  Figured putting myself on 18 lbs of carbon fiber and rubber was NOT a bright idea.

My lunch run turned into a disaster, or rather, a "recovery run".  I got to the water and decided I'd never sat on the rocks and watched the ferries go up and down the Thames River, so that's what I did till I felt a little more in sorts and ran back to campus, to get in a 5K.

Biked down to the fun run, with no intentions of running it.  Cheered on the little kids.  They are so cute and some are so competitive.  It was fun to see all the girls come in and then the boys!   I pedaled home a way I hadn't been in a while.  It was nice.  I've been avoiding a particular hill because I had to walk up it once.  Well I won't be bothering with that foolishness anymore.  There is one other hill that got the best of me.  I'll tackle that in a couple weeks.  My confidence on the bike is so much greater than last year.  I wish I felt that confident in my running shoes!

Thursday - "Rest day / not sure how much of this I will obey.  I knit at lunch so there won't be any running." 

For the first time in a long time I wanted to run.  I didn't, I really really did want to.   I think it was because it was a rest day.  Someone suggested I flip flop Wed for Thur for rest days as my Wed runs seem to suck.  I don't think it's that.  I think it was because I didn't HAVE to run.  Yeah, I said it HAVE to run. Dunno whats going on, I'm blaming it on Mercury being in retrograde (out of it 6:30 p.m. EST) for the last few weeks and once Friday hits it will all change, magically.

I had a late appointment. Dave took Jax out to let him run around and get rid of some of his crazies.  On their way home Dave picked up some dinner (yippiee) and I got home a little later. 

Jax crashed!  Ahhhh

Post dinner, I took Gus out then Giz for short walks, the humidity and boxers isn't a great combo.  Gus found it was garbage day and routed through many recycling bins looking for nibbles of food.  He hit the jack pot a couple times!  And with his special stomach, I shouldn't allow this, I do.  Fortunately he didn't have any emergencies in the middle of the night.  Giz wanted to go far, his legs weren't having any of that.  We all compromised and he somewhat willingly let me lead him home taking a lot of breaks.

Wasn't the best of the bunch, but he found trouble to get into!


Dave was up late fiddling around with a bass he is building.  It's nice to see him consumed with luthering (is that a word?) again.  The experimental Mandolin Bass seemed to work out well and he's unpacked his collection of electric bass and has been tinkering.  I do think I shall scream if I have to hear the bass line to "Heard it Through the Grapevine" one more time or be asked to play "Name this tune" based on the bass line.  Seriously?  The bass line is so hard to pick out and to figure out the song, kill me, kill me now.  Besides the fact I can't tell Rush from Van Halen on occasion.  Yeah who mixes up Geddy Lee and David Lee Roth?  This girl, that's who!

Mando Bass?  Acousic Bass?  Dunno...

Friday - "Bike with Jennifer, she said 25, I planned a 30 mile route with one killer climb - she is going to hate me."

Well that didn't happen.  Scheduling issues.  I did get a small project I've been avoiding done.  Figuring I could stay in the AC office a bit longer and avoid the heat.  Yes 75 and humid is uncomfortable for me, this whole hormone roller coaster isn't helping.  Anyhoodles.  I managed to figure a solution to a problem, it may need to be worked a bit more, once you get something on paper and started it is much easier to make progress towards a final solution.

When I arrived home there was a package of biking clothes, a brand of shorts I've wanted to try but not willing to fork over the big $$$.  They are nice, the legs are a bit tight, or I just have big quads. They were UBER comfortable for a quick 20 mile ride so they will work out fine for the Pan Mass Challenge, day 2.   I'll get some 50 + milers in them to be sure, but I think they will do the trick for that day two sore bum.

I wanted to go to the beach and stop by St. Clare's Annex for some ice cream in Watch Hill.  Well the traffic to the beach is bad on Friday.  I went out to see the cows in Ashaway.  That was just what I needed, some nice thick humid cow dung air and a fresh cutting of straw to fill my lungs and re-settle me.

Saturday - "Lung Force walk in Warwick - this is more for education than exercise.  I'll get a ride in later in the day.  I should figure out where the walk is and plan a route from there, always fun to see new places."

The walk was good.  Awareness?  Acceptance?  I read a blog post about a woman who is fed up hearing about Breast Cancer Awareness.  Her point was why can't we talk about acceptance of those people who don't go through reconstruction and get both or one breast replaced.  Very good post.  Made me think,  here, if you are interested.

Went on a 31 of a 55 mile bike ride.  I am so not ready for this century in a month.  Someone, me, really needs to get serious, and someone, me, isn't.   The Marine assures me he won't push the pace and we can take it easy.  HA!

Sunday - "Hill repeats and lunch at Paul's Pasta.  I don't think the gals are really serious about hill repeats, however they are my last chance before Mt, Washington as I am in NY M - W of next week."

Met up with Jennifer to watch The Marine in the Mystic River Y Tri.  He did well, his second, the first being Hyanis last weekend.  He was most worried about the swim and by far his worst of the three.  He made up a lot of time on the bike and a bit more on the run.  His transitions need a bit of work, but I think he is well on his way to a successful 1/2 Ironman in August.  

Nice to finally see who Jeff Duda is!  First place, by miles.  Amazing!  Good to catch up with a few people and see other WTAC athletes doing well.

Not feeling like a bike ride is going to happen, probably beer drinking and listening to the rooster, who really does sound like he's been smoking two packs of unfiltered Pal Mals for life, crow?  Packing for NY, ugh.  Well a rest week before the rock pile is ok right?  Not that every week this year hasn't had more than it's fair share of resting.  I should rename my blog "Beth the Sloth"

And for those up at the Westerly track in the wee hours of the a.m. can you hear that fowl creature?  The land lord won't address the situation and I'm thinking town hall won't be too happy to hear from us, they never are, we are, after all, interlopers...

Sincerely,
Beth, not as bored as her dogs.

6/9/15 initial - not published
6/10/15 fist publish
6/12/15 - update
6/14/15 - Final

1 comment:

  1. Rush from Van Halen?? Really? I love both, but they're very different.

    ReplyDelete