Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Weekly Recap 10/16/2017 - 10/22/2017

Monday - a running day, my last running day for a while.  Well if I listen to my physical therapist my last day for three weeks, if I listen to the ortho I can run after two days.  I'm really not sure what I am going to do.  Of course, I am going to push the envelope, it's kind of what I do, gently push it, not shove it...

Ro finally convinced me to run with her again.  I agreed to a 5K and by the time we were 1.5 miles in it was pretty clear I wasn't holding her back any more than she wanted to be held back and I was enjoying myself so we did a full 5 miles.  Sometimes I just need to get out of my own way.  I can't talk as much when I run as when we power walk, I managed to hold up a bit of my end of the conversation, Ro, an Otter did the majority of the talking asking me yes or no questions, so it was all good.  I'm a Beaver (and after reading it, very true for both of us) What is your running spirit animal?  I know sometimes these are dorky, but they are fun, admit it!!



Tuesday - not a running day but my last day before "the shots".  I was a bundle of nerves, not sure what to expect and after seeing that guy limp out of the lobby of the ortho office after his last series of shots I had all sorts of awful running around my mind.  I left work early and took a short bike ride to burn off some crazy, it worked, and I also got pretty cold and cut it short....   I needed one more layer on top and a headband.  My ears and chest were cold, oh and more windproof gloves would have been helpful.  All in all a nice ride, despite the setting sun and being chilled.  Gus was in the mood for a long walk.  I had to turn him towards home several times, he was not the least bit happy about this.



Wednesday - Shot day.  I got into the exam room and there they were all laid out looking at me taunting me needles the size of oak trees.  Ok not really.  They didn't look that bad, but they were going in my knees...   After a numbing spray, there was a pinch and it was over on the right knee.  I held the gauze on the spot after Dr. Coppes put on the band-aid and then did the left knee...  Huh... so what the hell was this guy doing limping out of Dr. Coppes office?  I think he may have been putting on a show for the receptionist?

Gus got a short walk, again ticked he didn't get his way.  I do love my grouchy curmudgeonly senior boxer boyz.  He grumbled and grouched and I couldn't do anything but give him a big kiss on the top of his head.  So cute.

Gus enjoying the sun in the backyard.


Thursday - I took Chris's circuit class at the gym, usually, he is more focused on strength than cardio.  Well, today was a bit of cardio which was jumping around, of course, it was.  So so not good for me... I did my best to modify, but not enough.  Then I let Gus take me on a nearly 3 and a half mile walk.  I really am not taking care of myself like I should.  I'm frankly going bananas.  I managed to get down to three or four intensely active days, and clearly, I missed my Wednesday hill day with Ro...  I hobbled through the day and popped some Vitamin I to get me through the night and Dave, the imaginary husband, scolded me, as he should.

Jax enjoying the sun in the house.

Friday - While I brought my running gear to work I did not run, yeah me for a sensible decision?  I left early because I was going bananas on top of the intense frustration and irritation of having to get someone to do their job (what is with people?  what the frig do you get paid for?  for this person clearly not for their ability to do their job) and needed to do something physical.  Throwing plates probably would have sufficed, maybe even a hissy fit, but the jumping was really going to hurt.  I went for a nice reasonable bike ride.  Threw in a few hills for some fun and felt much better for it.  Dave, the imaginary husband, laughed and said, well that sucks, when I told him my work issue, he's watched this dance with this person before and I can tell he feels sorry for me and he would totally do what he knows is going through my mind, but at the same time isn't going to watch me do something stupid he lets me vent and adds in his own two cents and I feel better.  I think that is as good as it will get.   It would be so much easier for me to do the task, so.  much.  easier.  however, the long run this will NOT pay off in my favor.  Yes, I do not suffer fools gladly, and it bites me in the ass. 

Neighbor's decorations.  The old guy under the window even freaked me out a bit!


Saturday - Another bike ride on a beautiful day, enjoyed the color as it is starting to pop in South County!  Definitely, the sun is not as strong as it is in the summer, and sleeves are necessary, not so much long riding pants. 



Sunday -  The boyz hadn't been out for walks, each got about 2.5 miles and were happy to have their own walk to themselves. 

At least they replaced the gnomes!
I love the names on the tomb stone, very creative.


Eratta:
I've been struggling with my feelings on running and my abilities for quite some time.  I went back and attempted 7 Sisters for the second time and bailed on the second time, I did get a little further, could I have finished, sure, did I want to no.  

This blog was just the ticket to make me feel like less of a failure (ok that is maybe a little harsh, but some word along those lines). 

"I just didn’t want to. I was tired mentally and I had zero motivation to finish. So, I didn’t. "
This is a runner far more accomplished than I am.  His words, the ones above, and many more in his post gave me what I needed to move past, not even through, past my 3 DNF.  

Knitting:

Finished the lavender baby sweater and started on a tan with flecks yarn.  I didn't get very far, only a couple rows in.

Reading:

Finished  "The Penderwicks on Gardam Street" by Jeanne Birdsall, definitely the nice light airy fiction I need to read right now.  The Penderwick sisters are trying to save their dad from dating, and it backfires, sort of.  

Started  "The Penderwicks at Point Mouette" by Jeanne Birdsall.  I think what I do like is you don't really have to read these in order, she re-introduces the characters so you aren't at a total loss if you aren't reading them in order or are only going to read one. 

Mileage:

Feet: 23
Saddle: 83


All in, not a bad week.  I'm glad I got one last run in and was able to bike on Friday and Saturday.  Sunday is a different matter, completely not my choice to waste the last beautiful biking day of fall.

Sincerely,
Beth, glad the shot didn't cripple me and more willing to take it easy for two days after the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment