Monday, April 2, 2018

Week 13 (lucky 13?) 3/26/2018 - 4/1/2018

Week 13 ending on April 1st?  What could be better, surely a harbinger of better things to come?

A few sunny days seem to have perked up the whole household, hopefully, it sticks around?  It's been a SE Michigan or Buffalo sun all winter, varying shades of gray, some bright some dull.  The first few winters in RI it took Dave and I a few winters to figure out why we weren't our usual grouchy and lethargic selves in the winter, sun, glorious SUN shines out here.  While the Nor'easters may suck and the fact the snow does not stick around more than a couple days sucks the sun shines most of the winter, except this one.  :(

Jax is getting used to being an only dog, he has decided it is OK to snuggle under the blankets for 5 minutes in the morning.  He's not a snuggler or a blanket guy, but he enjoys wrestling, and if he does that we wrestle.  Seems fair right?  Dave is so adamant about no second dog.  I said I'd sneak one in the house and he wouldn't know...  ha ha ha.  I don't know that I'm ready for a new to us dog, but it is a fun thing to antagonize my husband with!

Monday (4.3) - a real run!  No intervals walking, 12-minute mile pace overall, not exactly mind-bogglingly speedy (well it is for a turtle or an inchworm) but it is a good start.  I was tired at the end not sore and not hobbling.  It was a bit windy and the sun was out, it was a nice day to be outside, for sure!




Tuesday (1.8) - I bailed on the spin class to get outside and take a walk with Jax.  He would rather hike, I really wanted to wander around the neighborhood.  I won this time.  He was into it for the first mile and got bored until we saw a scary looking dude (black clothes with a hoodie and a beard, not really a scary dude, but he set off Jax's alarm bells) and then Jax was all Mr. Macho keeping an eye peeled for more trouble.



I hid the clean sheets from myself!
Someday it would be fun to wander around in my subconscious, but I think even I would be a bit terrified.
Wednesday (0) - Had my appointment with my primary care Dr. B.  He suggested I stop collecting doctors, I asked if he was jealous?  Ha ha.  I did ask for a referral to a Rheumatologist at Yale New Haven, Dr. B asked if I didn't like Dr. D I explained it wasn't that I don't like him (other than the 'who goes for a bike ride in February')  I want a second opinion and someone with more current knowledge and associated with a research and a teaching hospital.  I pay a shit ton of money for insurance I'm getting what I pay for.  Oh and ANOTHER lunch for #1 Smart Guy.  My only opportunity to run would be after 3 but I had knitting with Rory and well I didn't run or even really get outside for more than a walk to and from the car. Social time is important as exercise, right?  I certainly have felt like being a hermit for a long time and it's nice to actually want the company of other people.


The Bobtailed Squirrel made it through the winter!

Thursday (7.3) -   No spin, it was too nice to wait till 4 for class and stay inside, I went for a run! I decided to go right out the back gate and see how I felt by mile 2 and the dreaded Jupiter Point. I didn't feel too bad plus the breeze was from the south so it makes running out of the point more appetizing. Mile 3 clicks off the entrance to Avery Point, and I knew if I did all three points I'd end up over 6 miles and I'm really not ready to push my joints THAT far... I skipped Avery Point and ran around Easter Point and then back to work 5.3 miles.  Whoop! 

My laziness of Wednesday was taken care of with a walk with Jax after work.  The theme music for in town walks with him should be Mission Impossible.  I had enough time to take him on the short loop at Riverwood Preserve, another day.  He was very well behaved after the first 1/10th of a mile and only one time where I wanted to strangle him.  All in all he sniffed and peed and led the walk, I was kind of surprised he started this already, but maybe he has learned the neighborhood enough to know what is away from home and what is towards home?  Dunno.  I'm pleased we had a good walk, he's not the conversationalist Gizzy and Gus were but we will manage.  

I'm happy to report the bob-tailed squirrel made it through the winter, and Jax seemed to know that was Gus' favorite squirrel and didn't even try and chase him!

I've been digging back into my family history.  It is interesting to know where you come from, the people and their experiences. 

Searching for death notices in Cleveland OH I came across this about my Uncle Tom


Cleveland Plain Dealer January 24, 1959


Not the greatest quality picture.  I remember my father telling us all about the various pets they had growing up.  It was super cool to see this picture and the story!  My father has always had a special relationship with all the pets, except my cat Bells who lived with him for the years he lived in MI and we lived in WI.  She would stand just out of reach and scream for attention.  Cats are assholes.  

Bells is part of the willow tree now.  She has a quiet resting place where few people bother her.

Friday (3.2)
My knees felt the mile from yesterday, not unexpected.  I brought my stuff to exercise but really didn't think I would.  But if I left it at home I'd kick myself.  Anyone know how that goes?

#1 Smart Guy's last day. It was bittersweet.  He's the one retiring and while I did find him a unique bottle of bourbon, unique like him!  He brought me a present!!




There is a story behind this plant.  When my company shut down one of its offices and moved the people out a lot of stuff got left behind.  I was on a lay off wave, working on various projects to continue to extend my exit date hoping to find a permanent job.  One of my projects was to assist with information sweeps of the vacated spaces, ensuring no information was left behind and if it was to then find it's owner and determine what should be done, archive or shred. This plant came from a set of 5 plants in the executive offices, all 5 were nearly dead.  When people left they left behind everything, pens, paper, information, and their plants! OMG!  I brought home as many plants as I could fit in the back of my car and revived all but a few of them.  Fast forward about 5 years, I brought back most the surviving plants to the workspace I'm in now.  #1 Smart Guy had been taking Bonsai classes and was intrigued by the umbrella plant.  I had a couple more at home and brought them in for him.  They don't grow very fast, however, they are amenable to being manipulated and growing without dirt.  Now to remember to soak the moss every other day so it doesn't die.  YIKES!!  While Bonsai is Japanese art I think it will be OK with the Chinese stuff.

The Imaginary Husband and I took Jax on a hike.  I took an hour-long nap before this.  I haven't had a Friday Afternoon Nap in a while.  It was refreshing and definitely recharged me.  The humidity was high and the temps in the 50's this does slow down Mr. Crazy a bit, but he did have a constant level of energy through the whole hike.   He is getting used to being an only dog, in the mid-afternoon, Dave says he wanders around the house looking for some company.  When he came to live with us he was one of four, seven years later he is one of one.  

Saturday (15) - This was going to be a good day for a bike ride.  Shoot!  I only have my boots and I didn't ask Dave to help with putting the new cleats in my new shoes.  Hmmmmm...  an allen wrench, cleats, and shoes.  I can do this!  So I installed them, realizing the micro adjustments on the attachment point are well infinitely adjustable.  The cleat on the left foot was a bit too high up on the ball of my foot, I thought I might stop and adjust it while riding but then I thought of all the things that could go wrong - mostly losing a part... It was a good ride, a little cold to be as close to the shore as I went.  I should have done the farm loop, but I really didn't want to be out much more than an hour.   Got home and Jax and I napped, I've been tired lately so napping is the best cure for that. 


I love SPD mountain bike shoes, I doubt I'll ever get road shoes. 

The afternoon I spent spectating at my first Criterion Race at Ninigret Park with Faith.  Her husband was racing and it was his first race, so this was new to all of us.  I knew the park as it was a place we used to take the dogs when we had 4 it is a big open flat space and easy to keep track of 4 wild and crazy boxers.  The race was cool!  Definitely, a strategy associated with how to race it and people who knew what they were doing and people who didn't.  It was the first of the season.  I was happy there were no crashes.  Joe had a few lessons learned and will be looking forward to future Crits.


Sunday (o) - Easter for those who celebrate Dave was busy cooking stuff to bring to his parents and Jax and I stayed out of his way.  Jax napped and played with his ball and watched me vacuum.   Always makes me remember Sage and the vacuum. it was years of her trying to bite it or attack it until she finally stopped and then Jax came on the scene doing the EXACT same things, except this time Sage was looking at him and then with this look of disgust and "what a dummy" look on her face.  Like she hadn't just stopped doing that exact same thing a year earlier.  Jax mostly looks at it now with a bit of suspicion while perched atop a piece of furniture.

Dinner at the in-laws was good, filled with its usual drama and far too much food. 

A few Bunny Ear pictures from 2016, no one was thrilled with this!


Gus - why does The Girl torture me?

Jax - not amused

Gizmo - When do I get my treat?


Mileage:


Feet: 19  

Saddle:  15 

Books:


"Magpie Murders"

By Anthony Horowitz

This truly is a who done it within a who done it...  I'm confused and now it seems like they've added in a third book... gahhhhhhhh who killed who in which story.  I'm confused!!


Knitting:


Finished the Easter egg socks and started a pair for the Imaginary Husband.  As an aside he is getting accused of having invisible friends by his friends!  HA HA!!


Dave wanted a tighter knit pair of socks so I went down to a 2.5 mm or US#1 sized needle.  As I'm knitting along with this it is tight but I think I may switch over to these for all my socks, I think the fabric is going to be a bit more sturdy...  but my shoulder is giving me hell with all the fine work.  We shall see.


Funky Christmas colors

That is pretty much it for my rambly week. A bit more miles, a bit less whingeing, normal amount of knitting, a few lost loads of laundry, and the return of the bobtailed squirrel.  Oh, and there was beer drinking.  I should do a collage of all the pictures.  I miss seeing Leslie on the beer page!

Sincerely,
Beth not feeling so much like avoiding people she knows.

4 comments:

  1. " Jax And I Stayed Out Of The Way" Classic & Well Done. Have a magical month of April and keep sharing four legged photos.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a second I thought you were knitting some kind of weird-ass yarn bikini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does it mean when you say you'll probably never get road shoes? Will all the very long road bike events you've done, I can't imagine you don't have clipless pedals and bike shoes already.

    ReplyDelete