Monday, May 15, 2017

Weekly Recap - 5/8/2017 - 5/14/2017 - Big 50 and a Race!

I thought for a while I was never going to get the 7 Sisters mud out of my feet!  It seemed permanently embedded despite all the scrubbing and soaking.  Ewwww gross I know!

Since I was a slug on Sunday, I ran on Monday and felt pretty good about it.  Seemed rather surprising, but really Saturday wasn’t a lot of running, just a lot of I don’t even know what to call it.  The run felt good and I was glad to get out in the cool air.  Why can’t it always be like this?

Polly Coon bridge on the left, the gate thingy is on the other side, someday I'll remember to get a picture


Gus got out for a trip to Grills, I wasn’t sure where I wanted to take him.  I thought about Woody Hill but there is something going on there and walking through soccer fields while kids are playing would be inappropriate.  Gus is fascinated by the Polly Coon Bridge.  I don’t know exactly what it is.  The weaving to get onto the bridge gets him a little flummoxed but once I go through first he is right there ready to pass me and then stops at the top of the bridge and watch the river.  Maybe it’s the noise his claws make on the aluminum bridge maybe it’s the water, I’m clueless.  So we hiked up about a half mile and back out, I think we may have been trespassing, we weren’t on marked trails and popped out into someone’s back yard, oops!  Then back to the bridge and at this side doesn’t have the weaving thing (what would that be called) and he could jump right up on the bridge and prance to the center and watch the water.  Getting back off wasn’t a problem, he remembered to weave through the posts and not try and fit through the openings on the thingies he needed to weave through.   We attempted to complete the blue trail but it was flooded, really flooded so we turned around and went back the way we came and investigated another unmarked trail.  Looks like it may have been a tow path at one time?  Not really sure.

Tuesday was my big 5-0!  I actually slept past 6 a.m. and woke up at 8 terrified I had just slept through my birthday.  The white and black alarm clocks decided to sleep in or not to bug me, I’m not sure.  Either way, it was quite surprising to sleep that late.  

Dave took me to breakfast, we never go to breakfast I thought that would be better than dinner.

I took myself on a 50K bike ride and got a flat.  WHACK I hit something and the back tire went BOOM then fwapa fwapa fwapa.  Well crap.  Took me a minute to remember how to change the tube, once I got the tire off the rest of the process came back quickly.  Couple times dropping and then having to find small parts, like the valve stem which isn’t THAT important but the nut that holds the back wheel on, well that WAS important.  It tried to run away!  Got it all assembled and pedaled the rest of the way home, 10 ish miles, with no problems.  Guess I changed the tube correctly.  Glad I had a tube.  Dave’s comment to my scratching my head about changing my tire was “If you can’t change a tire you have no business being on a bike.”  Well ok then…  (I don’t disagree with him, it was so abrupt and harsh I had no witty retort)

Parts all over the place.
It's amazing how much I forget and then once my hands start the process; how much I remember.
I had to retrieve the lug nut from the ditch behind me, whoops, butter fingers!!


Enjoyed my day very much and Dave baked me a carrot cake while I was out on the bike!  Whoop!!  Dogs got a double walk, Jax was being a jerk… no real surprise there Gus was being tolerant, he usually lets Jax do what he wants, and waits, impatiently to get moving again

My Mom gave me this cake plate for my birthday years ago.
I love that he remembered and used it.


Back to the same old same old on Wednesday, no Ro to run the hill loop with, I managed a pretty peppy pace on my own!  Fastest time yet running the loop. No dog walks.  Nice quiet solo evening and two bored dogs.

Welp, 50 should plank for 5 minutes?
This was a bit of a struggle.


HEAT class, Thursday, at the gym, Tabata protocol.  A Tabata is a set of  8 20 second work 10-second rest, then 1-minute recovery between each set of 8.  We do something similar in spin, the 1-minute recovery is a very active recovery, in class, we didn’t do anything for a minute.  For the 6 exercises push-ups, burpees, curls to overhead, jumping squats, mountain climbers, and finally triceps it was a good class.  Wonder how much of this I will feel at the trail race on Saturday.  Fortunately, this is a trail race, not a mountain race, well it’s on a mountain just not scaling the, from Strava looks like less than 1000 feet of elevation gain.  Ok, I’m not terrified.

This photo reminds me of a pack of playing cards my paternal Grandfather snuck to one of my brothers, it had scantily clad girlies.   My brother was so in awe!!

Board meeting at night, one of the officers brought, beer, real beer, and of course I managed to spill part of mine all down my shirt.  Keeping it classy!  Gus got out for an in town walk, he was bummed.  Maybe I’ll get him to the woods on Sat or Sun, depending on the blasted rain.

Friday morning was a panic of packing for the trail race in New Hampshire on Saturday.  I could stop back by home on the way up or not, it’s easier to make sure I have everything and just leave from work. This is especially more important as Dave has a cold, ugh… How inconsiderate of him.  (ha ha) I’m glad to be gone for two days of that and hope he didn’t infect me, probably did, bastard.  I wondered why he had been slothful the last couple days.  He needs to stop hanging out with people with kids and/or school teachers, they are germ factories.

Realized I hadn’t submitted my April expense report at work and that I could get reimbursed for my tolls for the drive to NJ.  Tolls around here are no joke.  It was $17!!  And I noticed a lot of activity on Dave’s EZPass…  Dave was home then.  He didn’t loan it to anyone, whoever pinched it is certainly having quite the time driving around MA/NY/NJ/DE.  $64 and I may not get those charges reimbursed.  Kinda glad I got the reminder to submit my April expenses, could have gotten a lot more expensive, at least now any charges I won’t be responsible for.   I love how so much is digital, and hate it all at the same time.

My drive to New Hampshire was uneventful.  I made a pit stop at PVD Donuts, very good!  Not your traditional donut.  Got to the place I like to stay.  It reminds me of the apartment I had in grad school, I think it why I like the Scenic Inn in Conway.  It is about the same size, except the apartment had a much smaller bathroom and a kitchen.

Maple Bacon.
It was delicious.


My trip was to run the Dirty Girl 10K trail race on Saturday, put on by 603 Racing, Leslie O'Dell as the race director!  Rachel and Scott also came up from Rhode Island, Rachel to race and Scott to take pictures.  Even better, I got to meet Hoop in person!  I really really enjoyed this race!  Especially once I got out of the herd, I actually passed people (!!!  IKR  !!!)  and once I got where I should be three gals and I were passing back and forth.  It was challenging and fun and had a very runnable section, a perfect mix of everything for 6.4 ish miles (I had 6.5 on my space watch).  My goal was 1:30 I didn't adjust for the terrain, 1:45 was B goal and do not die was the usual C goal.  1:44.17  full results here.  B by the skin of my teeth!!!  I was spent and the run up to the finish was agony!  Definitely on the list for 2018!!  The Turtle (Rachel) only beat me by 3 minutes, whipper snapper!!

Scott Mason was there to take pictures.  He generally takes a shot making me look like a complete goofball, and I love it!

Wheeeee!!


The sound of the rain on the copper roof is really soothing to me, I got a really great night sleep.  Gus did his best to disrupt my sleep, well he wanted Jax's spot and once Jax moved Gus settled in.

After a morning of rain and watching the weather it was time to make a decision and get out in the woods.  I saved Jeff Walker's latest foray out into Barn Island as a course and intended on seeing if I could follow it via Strava.  Well, it worked.  There were a few times I had to turn around after going off course.  I generally 'do' Barn clock-stupid, and I couldn't figure out how to quickly reverse the route to make it more familiar, so I did it clockwise and it was fun.  We hit lots and lots of mud and running water what with a night long rain storm.  Gus was quite pleased.  He got a bath as soon as we got home.  He wasn't so keen on this but was happy to be white white instead of white gray.  He thanked me by dropping lots and lots of fur during a good grooming.  He manages to hold on to his fur until the last possible minute and drops it all at once, leaving a big white furry mark!

It's mud Beth, get over it.  -- Gus


The sun came out after a while and Dave and I tackled the yard, Bob's side of the lawn is growing like crazy, he fertilizes, we don't...  So something had to be done with the knee deep section of lawn.  We got through that and vowed to spend a couple hours next weekend doing more clean up work.  The good thing is my haphazard flower beds are really starting to fill in and now we need to find some ground cover to take over the lower beds, we intended on making them some outdoor space and that is just not happening.  We live in too crowded a space to have outdoor space we'd both love.  We do need to move and get a house more out in the country.  We haven't made any plans but I've picked out a few roads I'd like to live on.

Books:

Finished:  "White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America" by Nancy Isenberg.  Feh, it was billed as "In her groundbreaking history of the class system in America, extending from colonial times to the present, Nancy Isenberg takes on our comforting myths about equality, uncovering the crucial legacy of the ever-present, always embarrassing—if occasionally entertaining—poor white trash." Not to my eyes/ears it was a been there done that of popular and unpopular culture.  The only gem I did glean from this was America was Britan's dumping grounds for their unwanted.  Bottom line, either you love this or you don't; there is very little middle ground, which also seems reflective of the political and social climate we currently experience.  Maybe I need to work on MY middle ground?

Started: "Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole, Walker Percy (Foreword) This is truly interesting/hysterical,  Kennedy Toole finished the manuscript, committed suicide and his mother set out to get his book published.  Percy was dubious, yet compelled to not set down the manuscript.  And that is exactly how this novel is reading/listening.  I want so badly to hate the characters, yet I can't, they are such buffoons it is so not reality and so entertaining Kennedy Toole uses every stereotype in the book to grand excesses and I can't help but snicker or laugh hysterically!  Perhaps because I am listening to this it may be funnier?  The narrator does a really awesome job.

Knitting:

The sleeve is progressing nicely and I should be able to show a finished next week!!

Mileage:

I got my mileage back up, but my biking needs to be hitting the 100-mile mark, not the 30-mile mark.  That can start happening now that my 'races' are mostly over.

Feet:  37
Saddle: 31

May 11th was Strava's bike to work day, it was miserable cold when I woke up... I opted not to.










Sincerely,
Beth, excited about the new decade!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, BLS!!

    Oh man, I LOVE Confederacy of Dunces. Ignatius is incredible! One of my favorite literary characters of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Welcome to the 2nd half-century.
    - That doughnut is just wrong.
    - When Bradford Preserve is busy, two other access options for Woody are Wahaneeta Preserve and end of Fallon Trail.
    - I'm with Gus: It's just mud, Beth, get over it!

    ReplyDelete