Monday, May 21, 2018

Week 20: 5/14/2018 - 5/20/2018

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I feel a bit better now.  

Monday (5)  Woohoo 5 miles!! I had to run up and down a hill to hit it, but I did.  I felt it the rest of the week too...  That ache that says you did something.  There were points where I wanted to walk, I didn't I plodded along, maybe I'll get faster, maybe I won't, I honestly don't care, I'm happy, and what matters most for me is me.  

Dave went out on a ride leaving Jax home alone, it took him more than a full minute to recognize that I was home and for him to roust himself from the nest he made in our bed!  Poor guy is still tired.  I was glad.  If he had greeted me barking and doing his flying Wallendas routine across the foyer I would have taken him to Canochet just to get him out.  I was happy he sauntered down the stairs gave me a half-hearted whappa whappa and settled into his chair.


Crazy dog and crazy boy

Tuesday (12.5 + 1.5) The EBAC ride was called on account of thunderstorms.  I hemmed and hawed on doing the ride by myself.  Mostly deciding not to do it because of the small mishap this morning with Jax.  He ferociously sneezed and threw his paw into my eye giving me quite the gash above my eye!  He missed my eye and we can all be thankful for that.  I hollered and felt my eye socket filling up with blood from the gushing wound.  Dave got me something to mop up the blood.  Jax couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about and wasn't it time for his breakfast?  

As the morning progressed the wound kept seeping and grossing out some of my co-workers.  I went to health services and Dr. D patched me up with three suture strips and a big white bandage.  He said if he sent me to urgent care they would put in some stitches but he didn't think it needed that but IF this didn't stop the bleeding I should go to urgent care for stitches.  Oh yeah, and hold up a minute you need a tetanus shot.  

Ro texted that she might be up for a short ride doing laps around the Pfizer Tri course, was I interested.  Sure!  I'd be there in 20 minutes.  I was feeling the 5 miles from yesterday and the fatigue from the weekend and that seemed perfect, plus who knew what this head wound was going to do while I exercised.

Dave texted that Jax would like a walk and he hoped I forgot about this mornings events.  I got home and the radar looked like I had till 6:30 for a quick walk.  About 5:57 the CODE RED alerts sent by the town went off.  I had been seeing lightning and hearing thunder, but they were pretty far apart.  We were a half mile from the house.  It sprinkled, then the skies opened up and the wind picked up.  Jax was pissed his feet were wet and his ears and finally he was just so soaked he stopped caring and stopped to smell everything.  Guess things smell more in the rain?    

The seeping blood washed out of the bandage, I thought this was a good thing, and it was, no more seeping blood!  Yeah, no stitches!  I'm still miffed about having to get a shot, I did need a tetanus shot anyway, it's been about 10 years.  


Lovely

Wednesday (0) OMG I was so tired on Tuesday night and couldn't get moving Wednesday morning.  I am so lucky to not have to punch a clock.  With all the storms that rolled through on Tuesday night, I figured I'd avoid I-95 and quite possibly yet another accident on the Gold Star Bridge backing traffic up past my work exit.  I took US 1 into work and stopped to get myself some coffee on the way.  Discovered the rest of US 1 into Mystic is going to be retarred,  YEAH!     That caused the slow down I was hoping to avoid, but whatever, it is a nicer drive to work.  


Trillium I saw on my hike in NH on Friday


Thursday (5.7) The rain is relentless and unending.  Sliding down the hills, while sounding like a lot of fun could end either Ro or I up in the emergency room so we did the flat beach loop.  Rachel, Amy, Georgia, and I met up for Beer'd I said I was walking, Rachel grabbed a jacket, she was good with that.  Amy and Georgia ran.  Rachel said, "I didn't know we were going to walk THAT pace." HA!  I said, well I did say walk, not stroll.  We cut the course short to end up finishing with Amy and Georgia.  Georgia doesn't drink at all when she drives she went home.  A woman of principles and great stories!  I'll have to speed up my run to be able to hear some of her stories!  Turns out Amy and Rachel know people in common through pianos.  How awesome is that?  I figured we'd all do well being WI, MI, OH women and as long as football wasn't discussed no fist fights would break out, ha ha ha!!


Dirty Girl course - Friday's Hike


Friday (1.8)  I drove up to NH, to discover both warm temperatures and sun at nearly 44North!  How awesome was that?  I went for a short walk out on the Dirty Girl course, scared the crap (well scared a scream for sure) out of the guy fixing the bridge, and found a trillium AND a cutely painted rock that looked like a smiley face, along with parts of the very well marked and fun course.  


Cute!


Saturday (3.5)  Yes this was a 10K+ 6.4 GPS miles, so probably closer to 7 if someone took a wheel out there.  It was pretty clear to me after two miles the attack of pleurisy I was having Friday let up a lot but not completely and I was in no shape to be out on those trails running.  Hiking, hell yes, running, hell no.  Knowing when to call it a day to not suffer for weeks afterward is a skill I am learning.  After the top 3 finishers passed me I also knew getting lapped was a bad sign and to pack it the fuck in for the day.  


"Guess I better do something interesting"

Leslie was so sweet when she saw me she was very concerned and said: "Beth what happened."  All I can say is you need to fold your hand when you need to fold your hand.  Even the first finishers looked at me with concern rather than the disdain I expected.  Hoop suggested I just was looking to be FTB "First To Beer" and gave me his glass to taste the awesome Saison Garrison City Beerworks female brewmaster, Nicole Gray, and two other female brewmasters dreamed up.  The 603 runners are awesome, no judging of my decision.  I felt a lot less self-conscious about my decision but still didn't want to hang around for the awards, I had a beer, chatted a bit with Leslie, and set off for rainy SO RI.  


Wheeeeee

Along the way, I kicked myself for not stopping at a beer store and I knew what I was looking for, Hobbs Coffee Stout.  I found a beer store via the wonderful Untapped APP and headed off to Greg & Jane's Beer & Wine in Epping, NH.  Very awesome beer store, wide selection, far more than the 60 brands offered they advertise.  Always a good thing.  I was conservative in my selection, plus they didn't have a grocery cart for me to fill up.  Apparently, that is not a normal thing, filling up a grocery cart with beer?  Rachel and Amy COMPLETELY disagree, it is totally normal.  Clearly, I have found my people.


"Do I have to do it again?"


Sunday (3) The rain let up about 11 a.m. and by noon it looked like decent weather for a bike ride or a hike with Jax.  Jax didn't get out for a few days and was going crazy.  That always makes me think of the line from Fargo "We are going crazy down at the lake there"...    I know it's in reference to something else but it makes me laugh.

He started his spinning routine as soon as he saw I had socks in my hand and didn't let up until my shoes were tied and we were headed out the door.  Crazy boy. 


Jax slipping a bit on the bridge he was ticked he had to cross.

We went to Wahaneeta, I figured we'd be the only people there, I was correct.  It was still looking like it might rain or it might be sunny.  The radar looked ok.  He had a good time wading through all the streams, he is very anti-bridge.  


Stop choking me and stop taking my picture.


Mileage:

A low week in the saddle:  13
A decent week on the feet: 21

Maybe someday I won't feel like the crap that's left over after you scrape someone else's dog crap out of the tread of your shoe...

Books:

The Pillars of the Earth
By Ken Follett

About halfway through, very good!  Prince William is a horrible man and his actions are very disturbing.  Tom Builder is making good progress on his cathedral.  Prior Phillip is impressing the Bishop and can continue with his cathedral.

Knitting:

I can manage about an hour of knitting before my shoulder rebels on me the next day.  I may have to go back to knitting baby sweaters.  Amy of the pointy elbows has been working at the bound up scar tissue and suggests I take breaks every 15 minutes and stretch. She explained what's going on, that helped a lot! She's a good egg!  

Sincerely,
Beth trying really really really hard to not be frustrated and angry all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Did you read my recap of the past week? Angry and frustrated pretty much sums it up over here. And wounded and tired. Ah, life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard from some reliable sources that in our 50's our ability to cut ourselves some slack broadens. So I ask, "You must mean mid to late 50's?"
    Nope, we can do it whenever we want. I'm thinking now is good.
    Love,
    Sheila
    PS Speaking of angry, I spent Mother's Day trying to explain to my loving husband that bailing his eldest out of jail probably wasn't the best idea. That, maybe, now that he's in his mid-30's he should learn to clean up his own mess. And then he bailed the punk out. Angry, I tell you. :-)

    ReplyDelete