Sunday, September 11, 2016

Weekly Recap: 9/5/16 - 9/11/16

Monday (0/5.1/0) - Nice little hike almost around Napatree Point in Watch Hill.  It got a little dicey on the bay side and two of our group of four decided to back track while Joe and I decided to soldier forth through the water because we were shoe less.




Who goes to the beach with shoes on?



Hermine, once a hurricane, down graded to a tropical storm, and we were under watches then warnings then watches then warnings from Saturday - Tuesday.  Hermine made the trip fun, we went at high tide to make sure we got the most of the experience.


At low tide you can usually get across that little part and continue on the bay side of Napatree.  We cut back across to meet up with Faith and Jaime.



It has been a while since I did that, Sage used to be my adventure girl, she liked all that stuff.

Tuesday (5.4/0/0) - Back to weekly runs with Faith!  I forgot my space watch at home and I was all stressed out about how to manage my intervals of 10 minutes walking 1 mile run 5 min walk x 4.  Faith has a space watch and offered to assist me in my conundrum!  I wasn't sure if we would get all 4 miles of running or not.  I supposed had we gone down Jupiter Point we would have managed.  But my hip did start to ache in mile 3 so I knew it was probably about time to wrap it up.  We finished the mile and did the walk and then started mile 4, Faith was going to get the full 4 in!  We got to her car and said our good byes and I walked back to campus.  Over all 5.4 miles with a 12:12 pace.  I'll call it a run.    The hip felt better as we started the 4th run mile so I think it is the process of getting back to higher mileage and no walking runs.



I don't even remember what the rest of the day consisted of other than back to work after the long weekend and the unfortunate end to summer and NOW everyone wants to get started on projects, WTF were they doing all summer?  I really dread September for the onslaught of work because it is the last quarter and no one seems to actually work over the summer...  They aren't teachers....

Wednesday (0/7.6/0) - I graduated PT!  Yeah!  I only go back if I need to, however keeping up with my exercises is key to not having to go back.  I was sad to say good bye to Sarah, Danielle, and Joe.

Back to hills with Ro, now in her second week of retirement, or is it third?  Her mother passed away last week and she really needed to talk it all out. The detailed blow by blow, was I willing to listen? Of course.  Never doubt that.  I've always been curious about the dying process, nearly as curious as I am about the living process.  Happy to listen as she talked non-stop going from one emotion to the next. The big stresses in life marriage, death, divorce, moving, job change, she got two at once.

Thursday (0/2.5/0) - I did my PT exercises and was quite content with that, I had 15ish miles for the week already and needed to dial it back a bit.



Gus got a ride in the new car, my first car payment was made, so it's not new anymore....  We went to Champlin Glacier Preserve only a few miles from the house.  It was very hilly and rocky and in spitting distance of the ocean.  Glaciers, amazing things, they made it flat where they moved and hilly where they stopped to rest and eventually melted.  There was a nice swamp, I'm sure it was good and muddy, not yet, Gus give it a year before muddy dogs in the car?  And one spot that looks to get good and muddy in the spring and probably after a heavy rain?   The 134 acres are surrounded by houses and a busy road on one side it is remarkably peaceful and has a feeling of being in the middle of no where, something I very much enjoy.  Plus being surrounded by roads the ever present fear of being lost and never found is a very tiny quiet voice in the back of my head because less than one mile in any direction I'd be in civilization.



Friday (0/0/0) - I was feeling the hike on the uneven ground in my legs, mostly in my shins.  UGH, how did THAT happen.  I had a lot of niggling to do lists and wasn't feeling as though a 3 mile run would help me focus, it may cause me to lose focus, plus the shin thing had me a little worried, so I worked and with great satisfaction obliterated a few pages of to-dos.

Jax needs to learn how to relax.


Met up with a runner friend for beer at Grey Sail, which turned into a field trip to Beer'd, if you are going to come all the way down to South County you might as well go 'round the corner and go to Beer'd.  So we did that!  I actually enjoyed a Double IPA, who knew THAT could happen.  It wasn't IPAy tasting at all.

Saturday (5.1/1/0) -  The texts started mid day Friday with the 'Gansett gals and who was running.  Nicole had 14, Jenn had 20.  I said I could do between 3 and 5.  I met up with Nicole and Jenn at 8 a.m. Nicole had 5 left, Jenn had 11 left.  I ran 5 with them at a super comfy pace and it was so nice.  I started feeling the hip late in the last mile and that is just fine, I knew I pushed it with 5 and knew that I WAS going to be smart and take it easy the rest of the day (although I REALLY wanted to bike) so it would be OK.  My confidence that I can run 5 miles is back and that will up as time goes on.  Hopefully I'll be back to every other day 6 mile runs and a long run on the weekends maybe October I can hit a 10 mile run?   I'm super nervous about going back to all that pain, maybe I'm being overly cautious?  Maybe I'm not.  What I do know is the pain started as acute in April (OK maybe February, if I'm really honest) and became chronic in mid May....

Sunday (0/4/0) - Went to cheer on the runners at Surftown, on the only hill in Watch Hill.  Met up with a couple Jeff's and a Crutch.  Good times!  What a miserable race in the humidity and heavy air. Fun hanging with the guys.

I took some pictures with the big camera, something, most likely the firm ware has gotten funky and the pictures didn't turn out all that great.  A few did.  Disappointing.  Now to brave it update it.  Digital is nice for immediate results, print is still better, but who has time for that?  Should have used the iPhone.

After the race I took myself for a walk to the end of Napatree.  Debated on a run or a ride once I got home and decided I'll continue to ease back into being more active.  Honestly I'm scared of reoccurring pain.  I know there is always going to be some pain, but that pain was so awful.  Like stepping on the tender part of a bare foot on dried holly tree leaves and not being able to pull them off.

Clip from a video of Gus enjoying a back scratch and Jax interrupting it,
I love that look on his face as he enters the frame


Mileage:
Feet: 29.2, for a total of 1,243 against a straight-line target of 1,405
Saddle:  0 this week for a total of 1,190.7 against a straight-line target of 1,405   Planning on doing the Western Hills ride next weekend.  I'm in the mood for hills!

Sincerely,
Beth, happy to feel like she is back to running, looking forward to more miles!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete