Sunday, March 5, 2017

Weekly Recap: 2/27/2017 - 3/5/2017

And we are back for another weekly edition of ramblings and whinging of a lunatic....

Books:

Last week I finished "The Tycoons: How Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, Jay Gould, and J. P. Morgan Invented the American Supereconomy" by Charles R. Morris   My capitalist heart swooned for the description of what drove these men and my mind embraced the descriptions of the transition from an agrarian economy to an industrial economy.

To balance all that out I was also reading "The Hired Girl" by Laura Amy Schlitz  This started as such a horrid story of a girl unappreciated by her father and loved by her late mother.  Fortunately for our Joan her mother instilled a few very basic beliefs which spurred her to run away from home at the age of 14 and make a better life for herself.  Sure it's a Young Adult book, but really balanced well with Tycoons, but were they really truly different stories?  Makes one wonder.

I started listening Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins.  I know I've listened (?) to this before, but can't remember how it goes.  Perhaps this was on a particularly exhausting trip?  Dunno.. Anyhow it is captivating.  Scanning through the books on my Kindle, I started reading this one, that is why it was so familiar.  It was good.  You think you know someone, and well you really don't

And for my reading pleasure "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" by David Miller.  I've enjoyed other self published (is that right?) or is it autobiographical (?) in any event,  books on hiking the AT, the PCT and the CDT.  Nourish my sense of adventure I probably will never actually act on, only dream about.  I finished on Saturday.  It was cold, I thought I had a race in the morning I didn't, next weekend...  The sun was shining despite the arctic wind so I hunkered down and escaped to the AT with AWOL.  Very cool  I've read a few books written by through hikers, each experience the trail differently.  AWOL's was one of the better experiences, he focused on the trail and what he learned not meeting crazy mileage goals or being pissy with other hikers.

Finished the audio "Did You Ever Have a Family" by Bill Clegg, this is read by the author, this is his first novel.  Wow.  Captivating, I know I've over used this word.  I can't stop thinking about these people all connected by a horrible tragedy.

Next up in the written word, I'm not sure, there are a few in the cue on the Kindle, it just depends on what I'm in the mood to read and what strikes my fancy... And for audio is to relisten to the last hour of "Did You Ever Have a Family" and then move on to "The Goldfinch" Donna Tarrr.  I started this, and then set it aside for "Girl on a Train".  Admittedly I am a little dubious of it, mostly based on the person recommending it.  We don't agree on much, it may be a bit to artsy fartsy hoity toity for my taste, I'll give it a shot.

Well I got that caught up from what I forgot last week.  RIF - Reading is Fundamental!

Knitting:


I'm making stellar progress on the Dark and Stormy sweater, should be good to go by the time the hot weather rolls around!  Ha!!

A runner friend is having her first baby, she was so excited to show me the sonogram.  I thought it looked more like an alien eye, but I have no earthly clue what I'm looking at and they (sonograms) generally skieve me out, I'd rather look at gashed open legs or knees...  at least I have some frame of reference.

Running:


Oh yeah, this is about running, I suppose you'd like to know what I was up to...

The cold was definitely a cold and I felt not so lovely when I woke up on Monday, after stumbling around getting ready for work, managing to put BOTH contacts in my right eye and then taking the short way down the last 4 stairs (I fell) I wasn't sure exactly what the rest of the day would have in store.

I managed a pretty peppy 5.6 miles around the usual 3 points.  My mile 4 was painfully slow, I really really really loathe that section of Shennie, and I really really really need to get over it.



EP - Eastern Point, AP - Avery Point, JP - Jupiter Point


I'ts a long slow climb, but for some reason I don't like it. I think because from the beginning I ran the loop clockwise, per Syracuse's advice.  The wind was coming from the SW today so doing the points clock stupid was the better option for the Avery Point part.

I bailed early on work and went home to take a nap, which I managed even with the CNC running in the basement.  I needed the sleep, if I didn't I wouldn't have slept.

Woke up feeling less than stellar on Tuesday, if I'm going to feel like this I'd rather it be for something stupid I did (um drank), not a stupid cold.  It's kind of a half-assed cold but still it's kicking my butt.  Got out for most of a 5 mile run and back to the gym to plank and shower and be miserable the rest of the day at my desk. 




Took the boys out for a walk before dinner, it's still light till nearly 6 and that is nice, dusk isn't the safest time to be on the roads so we stuck to sidewalks and I turned on my headlamp.  They were fairly well behaved. Jax melted down with a puppy.  Gus was doing well ignoring it.  They both really have bad reactions to small dogs.  Gus usually trembles and hides behind me, I was pretty proud of him looking forward and continuing to walk.  I can't even imagine what happened to them in their lives before Dave and I.

They have the oddest reactions.  When I get home and only Gus greets me, I'll find Jax sitting in my chair staring at me, glaring at me actually.  This means Gus has counter surfed and if I didn't find the prize on the front rug I'll find it in the dining room or kitchen floor.  I have to slowly walk around the house and then greet Jax, he is so on edge it is a little scary.   Walking straight up to him I'll be greeted with a growl.  He landed with us when he was 10 months old, he is 7 this year, and to still have that sort of primal reaction. Poor guy.  I let him know it's all ok and that Gus is in trouble.  Does it help?  I have no idea.  Dogs were once wild animals and that primal brain (oh what is that called?) engages.


Reptilian!  That's why the squeezy thing they gave away in the class was an alligator?

Ro and I got caught in the downpour on Wednesday.  We did the first hill of the loop and decided we'd do that hill and if it got really bad we'd go back to campus.  Well the thunder clapped and the wind roiled and we got to the top of the hill and headed back to campus, and just as we get to the first intersection the skies clear.  We decide to do "the bitch" and call it a day.  I still felt like crap from the cold so I bagged my double with spin.

Guess March came in like a lion?




New York weekly started back this week, that day is typically going to be Thursday.  I took a zero, and probably will continue, but who knows.  It's my training I can do as I please, I don't have miles to run to prove to anyone.  The project had me really apprehensive, until I finally got to dig into it.  This is going to be fun!




This week is full of bad starts, I got to work realizing that I left my computer at home.  I need to buy a very bright computer bag so I remember to grab it when I walk by it.  Unfortunately I do not have the ability to work from home, I can, and it's ok to do, but I can't because it is loud and noisy and frankly I get very distracted.  When Dave is gone I do work from home, it's quiet, no machinery running in the basement. Friday started with a trip back home to pick up the laptop, return to work, and then start my day an hour late.  Shit.  Because I have a race on Saturday probably not a good idea to get out and run after the Functional Strength and Core class.  I don't like not running two days in a row...  




Just a crappy day, and it didn't get any better when I got a call about a potential opportunity at work.  I won't move on it because it isn't a promotion, despite being told, we can re-grade the job, I'm not biting, I've had this happen with this person before and was pretty clear I remembered the last time, 7 years ago.  Fortunately we have this thing called 'straight talk' and I've worked with this person for a long time, I was direct with my expectations and exactly why I had those expectations.  He wasn't the least bit surprised and was happy to know I never lost my 'edge' through all the trials and tribulations from my near lay off.  I really think the opportunity is perfect for me as does he, however the cards aren't lining up for one critical requirement.

No one wanted to leave the warm bed on Saturday morning. Dave had a ride, I had a race.  Fortunately for Dave one of the guys bailed and then Dave didn't even hesitate and said he was out too, he wasn't at all looking forward to being in the woods on a mountain bike and he has been quite busy with his new bass design.  I got myself up and out and to the race start to find nothing but mountain bikers, huh...  the race is next weekend.  Good grief.  I went home, grabbed Gus and we went for a run in the woods.  It was either going to be the flat loop or the flat loop plus a hike in the hilly part back to the flat loop.  It was cold and windy and while less windy in the woods, it was still 20F with 20MPH gusty winds.  The flat loop was all we cared to do and Gus headed straight for the exit and the car once we were at the point we could have done a second loop.  He's no dummy.

He whined his way in to a second short hike in the afternoon.  I'm a pushover.

The wind continued all the way through till Sunday morning.  Smartly Dave and his buddies were riding at 2 we lazied around in the morning enjoying the sun and coffee.  Nice to catch up on eMail and reading and general non-sense to discuss.  Kind of a repeat of Saturday without leaving to go to a race that's next week!

I finally did run, pretty much for the only purpose of improving my increasingly foul mood.  That helped, it usually does, the chocolate wasn't doing the trick, and  it was too early for beer, yeah really there is such a thing.  SO 5 miles, in the chilly dry air.  Peppy pace for me, partially the mood, partially the chill in the air, partially there is less of me to haul around, partially it felt good, finally felt good to put in a little more effort to my run.  I hit my 170 cadence at a 10:30 pace and we can work from there.  My lungs were not at all happy with the dry dry dry chilled air.  Dave had just gotten back from a bike ride and we were both coughing up a lung.  A nice long hot shower helped get everything righted.  

Mileage:

Feed: 27.9
Saddle: 0




Sincerely,
Beth, wondering what will land in her lap in the upcoming week.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete