Thursday, December 28, 2017

Weekly Recap: 12/18 - 12/24

Monday – My week started with two days in NYC.  

I took a long walk after work to look at the light displays in NYC.  I’ll share those pictures here, it is so pretty.  The temperatures were mild and I really enjoyed my adventure.

Chrysler Building


Tuesday – The General Counsel award ceremony!  Finally!  It takes 4 months to plan this event and this time I wasn’t getting an award however I was on the planning team.   It takes a team to get this done and get all the details correct.  It went very well and I am proud to be behind the scenes for this.  A holiday volunteer project with my workgroup and then cocktails and tasty things at The Kimberly.  It was all super nice and I ate way too much.  My boss and her boss laughed when I asked if it was ok that I got a beer.  I really don’t like wine or champagne.  I work with a great group of people.  I’ve been at my current company 18.5 years and the last 6 in the Legal Division have been the best by far, the work, the leadership, and the people. 

A very exhausting day and I was happy to crawl into bed and pass out.

Rockefeller Center tree
Wonder why my edited versions disappeared.... oh well...


Wednesday – Back to the routine!  Ro is back for a couple weeks before she goes off on her next adventure.  We did our hill loop and I was a little concerned I’d be dragging her down, but we weren’t too far off our usual pace!  So maybe I’m not as out of shape as my mind thinks my body is?  It was nice to catch up.  We’ll get in probably two more walk/runs before she is off again for CO.  

Gus got me out for a quick walk, very quick!  He was on task as his walk was late and I think he wanted to get to bed early as much as I did.  I was so exhausted!

Saks Fifth Avenue light display


Thursday - My first day of vacation until I go back to work on January 2nd. I didn't use up all my vacation time in 2017 and won't make that mistake in 2018!!!

Saks again - this is set to music and really magical


Friday - Drive out to MI. 

Tiffanys


Saturday -  I got my mom out for a walk around the forest and a short trip to get Dave's Christmas present (Bells Two Hearted Ale)

Largest Menorah


Sunday - I went out with the intentions of maybe 3 miles and I'd see how I felt.  It is fing cold.  I made about 3/4 of a mile on the road and then ran the trails in the forest for a bit, the hunters were out so I stayed far from where they were.

I really liked this


Mileage:

Very low with travel and visiting.  Hopefully, not too much of that will show up on the scale next week!  Ha ha ha....

A whopping 15.7 on my feet and nothing in the saddle.  









Knitting:

Finished the girl sweater I started last week and started a new girl sweater.  My mom had some buttons in need of a home those will be put to good use!  These two also have homes!

Reading:

Finished: "The Identicals" by Elin Hilderbrand, it was good, a take-off on the Parent Trap with a twist, the twins are adults and the parents do not get back together.  All of this was juxtaposed against the 'twin' islands of Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard, the differences in the twins and the islands.  A good light read with a happy ending.

Finished: "On Trails: An Exploration" by Robert Moor, very good!  A biography of trails! Fascinating. From the earliest existence of trails to the longest trail and everything in-between where they come from why they exist how they are used, the friendships created, the book unfolds much as a hike unfolds.  I don't buy many books, this one may end up in my library.

Finished: "Long Journey Home: A Young Girl's Memoir of Surviving the Holocaust" by Lucy Lipiner, I think this was a Kindle freebie, definitely worth reading.  An inspiring story of heartbreak and survival before during and after the Holocaust told from a young girl's point of view.

Finished: "Midnight and the Bright Ideas Bookstore" by Matthew J. Sullivan, well done!  A mystery and a family drama all wrapped up in a who done it with crazy clues.  I enjoyed this very much.  

Started:  "Norse Mythology" by Niel Gaiman, I'm enjoying it so far, I know bits and pieces of Norse mythology, this is putting structure around it for me.

Started: "Beneath a Scarlett Sky" by Mark T. Sullivan, another Kindle freebie, I'm not sure how invested in this I'm going to get.  It is about the Nazi occupation of Italy, something we don't hear much about.  It will be worth the time to read.

All in all, not a bad week mentally, physically, well we all have them where we don't get to do as much as we usually do for one reason or another.

Sincerely, 
Beth, a little late in publishing with travel.  Enjoy the pictures!

3 comments:

  1. Beth, I'm not a city fan, but love the holiday lights pics. Thanks for sharing these.
    An insight of Nazi occupation of Italy does indeed sound worth reading. I would like to read more historical books.
    How do you know bits and pieces of Norse mythology? Loved the more standard indoctrination of Greek mythology that I got in school, but never had any exposure to Norse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you click the box to get a reply... lol...

      The only time I really love NYC is in December with the lights, it is so magical. Otherwise it is really exhausting, dirty, disgusting, and I don't feel like I can actually breathe until I get back home.

      Norse Mythology - you don't know about Odin and Loki and Thor, and the giants and the ogres, nothing on Valhalla, no Valkyries? How odd, maybe it's because I grew up in the midwest? The other side of the great cultural divide called the Hudson River? I do remember the Greeks from school, they weren't forgotten about. The Norsemen (or Northmen) and their ways and Gods are rather intriguing and scary in a variety and combination of ways. Then again, I'm not sure when my intrigue into Norse Mythology started, maybe it was college? I really am not sure. They are my people, so maybe it's ingrained in my DNA.

      I'll eventually finish the book on the Nazi occupation, I'm vaguely recalling learning something about it along the way. I think if we don't remember history we are bound to forget it, or perhaps even glamorize or demonize it we are bound to forget it, I'm glad for the historical novels - historical facts and figures were lost on me (my mother shudders at this, the history major). Stories, now that I can totally relate to, give me some personality behind the facts and figures and the people and their backstories and that works for me and my imagination.

      Sorry to blather on.

      Delete
  2. Love that photo of your brother and nephew!! Actually, I really enjoyed all of your photos. The east coast is rather beautiful during the holidays. And your numbers??? Crazy!?!?! Amazing amount of data to go over.

    I look forward to following your progress throughout 2018. Keep yourself hydrated and stranger than ever.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete