Sunday, December 10, 2017

Weekly Recap: 12/4/2017 - 12/10/2017

Monday -  A running day.  I was feeling really good and positive and with the encouraging note from Connie I set out the usual way on the work loop, a right out of the gate.  I am faced with a slight incline no matter which way I turn and I usually go right, then the fast runners don’t have to pass me.  Doing my best to not make them uncomfortable for flying by me and my conservative pace, always accommodating!  Everything felt really good and I decided I’d try all three points.  Jupiter was up first and the one I like the least feels like I’m crawling out of a hole is near as I can figure why I don’t like it so much.  That felt fine.  It is sad to not see the elderly lady and her corgi anymore.   I always enjoyed seeing them, made it easier to face Jupiter Point.   I haven’t seen the crazy boxer in years, but he was the first fun thing to look forward to on this part of the route.   Avery Point is better in this direction because of the chilly SE wind off the water, plus it feels like wee tiny push.  Avery Point is short and similar,  it is a nice way to tack on 0.40 of a mile to a run.   When the space watch hit 5.2 I saved the run and walked the remaining ¾ mile back to campus.  Partially because I was tired and partly because while I wasn’t feeling it at the moment, the likely hood of feeling the run later in the day would increase if I kept on. 

I don't have many pictures from this week, so here are some oldies. 
Jax loved this game.  
 
 I went to take Gus on a short walk and once he realized my plan he was having nothing of it and stopped, stood behind me, and waited with his “Really?” look on his face.  This means he wants to go a different direction and I get to figure out which direction that is.  He wanted to cross the street.  I eventually steered him, albeit unwillingly, back toward town and the park, we did a loop in the park and went home for 1.5 miles.  He had a long walk on Sunday and usually, he stops and turns us around a ½ mile into the walk the day after a long walk.  I can’t figure him out.  Definitely has it in his mind what he wants to do, communicating that, not so easy for him.

Georgia Peanuts - one of our fosters
She was a sweetie.

Tuesday – Not a running day, circuit class wasn’t going to happen with meetings, spin later on in the day would be fine.  It was also going to rain, meaning I’m not taking anyone out for a walk in the rain, nope, no, definitely not.  The class was good.  I didn’t feel as exhausted as I did last week.  Perhaps because this wasn’t a double workout day?

Why is there a tree in the house?

Wednesday – A running day.  The day Ro and I do the hill loop.  She and Mark are in Martinique for about 6 weeks, and I haven’t gone on the route since the week she left, either I wasn’t feeling up to the route or I had something else going on.  I headed out that way and ran most of the loop, I knew I couldn’t maintain our power walk pace solo.  I did walk a couple of the hills from the ½ way point.  Considering I hadn’t done the loop in a month and having let my endurance lag, I am happy with what I accomplished.

Gizmo leading the pack on a run!

Gus took me on a long walk, and while we were gone the Imaginary Husband pulled the Christmas decorations out of the attic, set up the tree, and put on the lights and waited for us to get home so the hoomans could decorate the tree.  It was 9 p.m. before I finally got to sit down and had a few things I had to get done.  I was wired going to bed, meanwhile, I hoped the sound of two softly snoring boxer boyz would lull me to sleep.  

Sage, mid-flight.  She was a bruiser!


Thursday – Not a running day.  Another crazy meeting day so no strength class, my knees were aching, Vitamin I fixed that.  I didn’t need to torture them with the jumping parts of the warm up.  I took a spin class for some exercise and a short Gus walk in the evening. 


Diesel and Gizmo


Friday - A running day, I wasn't feeling it, so I didn't.  Stopped at the store because we actually needed milk, and with the pending snow, cracker soup and sammiches (tomato soup and grilled cheese) would be perfect for dinner, so I picked up bread (not something we have regularly).  The grocery store was insane, as was traffic.  Tis the season, nothing to do but smile at the people having meltdowns, some were nuclear and amble my way home.   I napped when I got home, probably about 30 minutes, but it was enough to give me a boost of energy for a nice long Gus walk after dinner.  


Always a favorite of Jax and Gus


Saturday - Pending snow set my mind at accomplishing little but catching up on recorded TV, Vikings, Good Behavior, and Blind Spot (the only violence I enjoy) and knitting on the Wild Boy sweater.  


Sage, waiting to attack.


Sunday - Newport Christmas 10K.  Hard to believe it this day and age a race is still allowed to be called Christmas anything, but as people insist it isn't a war on Christmas it's a war on close-mindedness.  Whatever.  Seems to me from the dawn of time what you do or don't believe is what causes war, hate, and discontent.  Can't we all get along, and accept that your neighbor doesn't have to believe in your diety to be a good person?  


Gus was late but at least you can see his face.


Race Recap:  My goal was 1:15.  I crossed the finish at 1:13.  I really didn't expect that to put me squarely in the actual back of the pack, with the police car breathing down my back.  I was happy at mile 5ish when they finally pulled away to direct traffic.  I was a little relieved to see someone in the car.  Another runner who bailed...  believe me the thought of bailing was running through my mind.  I looked at the results and was a little mortified to see my name as DFL (Dead Fucking Last), kinda made me sad to see how far I've fallen from my middle of the pack status.   Dave, the Imaginary Husband, reminded me I hadn't run that distance in several months and was barely trained for a 5K, let alone a 10K.  It was August the last time I ran that far.  It is what it is, and as much as it bothers me, it is what it is.  I enjoy biking so much more and have come so far with my bike handling skills, I do have something to be proud of.  Full results here.  



Mileage:

Feet:  28.8
Saddle: 30  


Books:

"My Cousin Rachel" by Daphne du Maurier is getting better, the mystery is starting to open up.  Phillip, for being 24 is rather a nieve man which makes me chuckle at times.  His Cousin Rachel is a character, she is hard for me to trust, however, Phillip is very enchanted with her and can't for the life of him figure out why!

I started reading "Long Journey Home: A Young Girl's Memoir of Surviving the Holocaust" by Lucy Lipiner.  I mainly listen to books, however, with a small change in my routine I have about 45 minutes of slack time and decided I'd use that to relax and read.  This is an interesting book.  I love reading about the horrors of the Holocaust, the inspiration of people surviving through such horrible events is really what draws me to this time period.  Lucy discusses leaving Poland just days before the occupation of the Nazis, he father was very insistent the family leave, and stay away.  Lucy is a child of 6 when her family and extended family fled their home.  Seeing this through a child's eyes is very different than seeing it through an adult's eyes.  

Knitting:

Dave yelled downstairs "When did we get a walk-in closet in the guest room?"  I said, "What are you talking about?" He was commenting on my yarn stash spread out on the bed, and the half-full closet, and how could I possibly have pulled all THAT out of the closet.  I explained that yarn is very squishy.  He was amazed at how much I had managed to squirrel away in the small closet.  I have a very large project ahead of me deciding what stays and what goes.  Any suggestions on local elderly care facilities or centers I can donate the yarn too?  

Meanwhile, I am nearly finished with a sweater for a baby born this month, and have a couple more specific recipients for sweaters!  And here I gave all of the stash away.  I really did want them out of the house.  I'm happy to continue on with my favorite pattern and merrily knit away.

Sincerely,
Beth, looking forward to getting back on the mountain bike next weekend, I missed riding Barney this weekend.

3 comments: