Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Big Miles this week, ha ha!

November 5, 2018 - November 11, 2018

Monday (6.1)  I did the usual loop clockstupid or the direction the competitive runners run it.  I saw no one.  It was rather dull.   For a walk/run it's getting peppier too.  Hmmm...  I contemplate dropping the walk part, frankly, I like the break and seriously, am I ever going to be running in a race again?  Then again I never thought I'd get to 5 miles, so who knows.  It was also supposed to rain, it didn't. Probably why the competitive (smart) runners didn't go out.  I didn't bother getting the extra 0.10 to get to a 10K.  I did that Strava challenge BS for the month.  I'll see how my body does with a 'real' run a couple times a week and reassess.  I was tired going into the run and tired coming out of the run, and fat, don't forget fat, isn't that something runners complain about?  Being fat and having no ass?  I'm not fat.  I've been fat and at the moment I'm not fat.  Sturdy, not fat.  Ha ha ha


Quite boozy!!


I'm reeling after finding out a friend was gifted signed divorce papers for her 19th wedding anniversary.  I knew her world was topsy-turvy, but shit, what a pisser.  They were an unlikely couple, perfectly suited in their unlikeliness.  There are couples you know aren't going to last, or they are going to be drama city till death do they part, this was not one of them.  I stood up for them, I believed in them. I'm heartbroken, actually.

Went to the packy after work and did a little Christmas and Birthday shopping for my Dad.  I can leave the bottles there when I visit my parents this weekend.  Shipping alcohol is kind of a no-no and eventually, this is all going to go pear-shaped on me.  Better to be prepared in the event the weather is as predicted and the snow is flying come December, and this is the year my 'vinegar' shipment goes wildly wrong.  Sorry, Mom.

Tuesday (5.7) - Hills with Ro, a day early she and her boyfriend are taking the Groton Senior Citizen bus trip to Newport.  One of the benefits of being over 58 and retired.  Go for it.  When I got to Ro's house she was being interviewed by the local TV news station.  I made myself scarce until they left and even then they still got a shot of us walking away.  The second time in my life I've been on TV.  We had a moderately peppy walk in the mist.  Once I dropped her off at her house, the skies opened up and my last 1/2 mile turned into a run back to campus. 

This was pretty tasty!


I stopped at the local yarn store with my green sweater and asked for help finding buttons.  Elizabeth was awesome and I love the buttons and in fact the sweater.  After finishing it over a year ago, then ripping out the collar because it wasn't right, and then re-knitting and then letting it sit for the summer and contemplating buttons, it was time to get this thing finished up and wear it in my drafty open space at work. 

Finished sweater


Wednesday (5.3) - A sunny run!  I meandered around enjoying the sun and running through the dry leaves on the side of the road.  Don't worry, they weren't piled there for pick up they were naturally collected so I didn't disturb someone's hard work.   I'm amazed I didn't squish through a dog poop or two, they do get lost in the leaves.  This was a tougher run, I expected that after having run on Monday and then hills on Tuesday. 

Sunshine showing me just how big her mouth is and how much of my arm she can bite if I dare pet her.


My sweater was nice and warm and snugly.  I'm excited to get the next one finished it is a heavier wool.

Thursday (764) - drive out to MI

Friday (1) - Snow!

Good Morning snow!
Saturday (0) 

Just a touch of snow


Sunday (0)

Not sure what the shoes over the wire signify for the University of Michigan students,
but they were along the whole block.


Knitting:

I finished the body and one sleeve and started on the second sleeve.  Quite pleased with how well this is knitting up!

Gatsby my knitting buddy.
Mostly he left the yarn alone.


Reading:

"Hamilton"
by Ron Chernow

Status:  Finished

Interesting. I don't follow political figures well.  Chernow is an engaging writer, it's me not him with this particular subject.  I learned a few things I didn't know and the book didn't seem to have a particular slant to it, I found that nice.  It is rather tiring trying to decipher reality from slant with current events. 

"Titan"
by Ron Chernow

Status:  In Progress

I love John Davison Rockefeller, I'll admit it.  There is just something about this capitalist that intrigues me.  Maybe it is his humble beginnings, maybe it is his ability to squeeze the Lincoln off a penny, maybe it is his generosity, I'm not really sure.  He was frugal and fastidious and calculated and cunning and it served him well, and his family after, and so many people through his foundations and philanthropy.  

"The Tattooist of Auschwitz" 
by Heather Morris

Status:  In Progress

A love story, no really, in the midst of the horror in Auschwitz where he, Lale, a Slovakian Jew is a prisoner, this man meets a woman, Gita, and they fall in love.  I'm just at that point in the story.  He is employed by the SS tattooing prisoners the SS keeps, hence the name and how he met Gita.

Sincerely,
Beth, lots of miles on the car this week, but I got in my miles before I left so I was happy to take a break for a few days and be a slug, knit, chat with my parents, and watch television.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, No Jax Photos?? Still, Excellent Update. Sending Positive Vibes Your Way.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamilton was one of my favorite books long before it became cool to like Alexander Hamilton. I haven't read Titan yet but will add it to the list. Glad to see the runs continue to get longer!

    ReplyDelete