Saturday, January 11, 2014

No Sloshing

Monday: 0/TRX


Tuesday: NY and frigging cold.  I checked Strava and was admittedly a little jealous over the outside runs.  I couldn't even bear the thought of a walk with the wind whipping up my skirt, no thank you!

Wednesday: I skipped on down to the gym to take a run at lunch.  No sports bra.  Bloody hell, after reading Mike’s post about no socks, and admittedly snickering, remembering my problem forgetting sports bras and how I thought I had that problem fixed by always packing an extra.  Well shit…  So I wandered my way back to my desk, feeling rather dejected looking at all that beautiful sunshine and temps above 10 degrees.  

My co-workers had no sympathy or understanding why this was a problem.  Can't you just run without one? Ah, this isn't Baywatch, Jackass (obviously this one lives up to his nickname). The smarter of the two suggested I come to lunch with them, that will cheer me up.  Well why not…  

I did get my run in after I got home from work!   Fed the beasts, changed, donned on the old headlamp and off I went!  Yippieee!!!  I did a circle of sorts not being much more than a mile (ok sometimes as the crow flies) away from home.  The first mile in I was in an internal debate of just doing 4 and doing 6 on Thursday or doing the whole 6.  My legs were enjoying the run.  They really were, if they could talk I am sure they would have said don’t stop, ever.  They won and I took them on for another 5 miles.   I kicked myself a little for not just doing a lap around the track to better my Strava 10K challenge time.  It was a little chilly and I was really getting hungry, the handful of sea salt dark chocolate caramels I ate at 3:30 were just not cutting it!

Detroit Runner posted about this FitSnap app and I had down loaded it so I had fun taking a selfie and fiddling with the app to produce this.   Athletic narcissism at its finest…  





Thursday: 4.3  I had hoped to go to spin class.  My boss needed to talk to me.  Oh crap…  we lost the head of the Division, and then our Department head, and this mysterious, do you have 45 minutes to chat meeting pops up on my calendar during the spin class time.  Well, things are always changing, my boss is leaving to pursue other career interests, she has been here for 10 years and it is time, now that both her daughters are out of college, to pursue the career she wanted to when she left law school.  She also was clear, this is also something that has been in the works for a few months, nothing to do with the two recent departures.  Before giving me any real detail on her plans, she assured me this was the land of opportunity and I believe her.  My entire career has been built on stumbling into jobs, why should that change now?  I stumbled into the one I am in now. 

On June 3rd, the day before what was to be my  “Last Day Worked” a phone call changed that.  There had been some back and forthing with another colleague over a project I had worked on for my current division and this other division really needed my expertise.  Would I consider staying and working for someone I had never  heard of in the Legal Division.  Heck, what did I have to lose I already didn't have a job as of June 42010.  Which was also the first time I ran the Bluff Point Twilight Trail run.

As I walked out to my car I agreed to take on this assignment, 3 months to write a divisional SOP and training on a law that was enacted in 1977 and just recently (the last decade) our government has has started enforcing (they found a gold mine in corporate fines). The project went along well, and as milestones were hit my "Last Day Worked" was extended a month at a time until 12/31/2010.  That was the date the 'good' layoff packages ended.  The next package was still good, just not as good, and the first wave didn't start until the end of March 2011.  A job offer made, accepted, then rescinded was quite the slap in the face.  An external job was down to final decisions, salary and start date being discussed. seemed like a good opportunity and I knew they couldn't meet my salary and I was ok with that, they were not so sure.  I did the math and if I could stay on until the new package kicked in it would be a net the same from the money I would "lose" for the severance package change and still be able to work.  It is easier to find a job when you have a job.  I ran this logic by one of my co-workers and she said “Go for it, what do you have to lose.”  Nothing I wasn’t already going to lose. 

My boss said, sounds good to me, and that was it.  Huh…  After the holiday shutdown and I was back to work, she asked if I would be interested in staying on this project and taking on other projects.  Sure.  She forwarded me the job posting and the offer letter, which was a grade bump too!! And now here I am, 3 years later nearly to the day with her telling me she is moving on and she couldn’t of gotten done what she has accomplished without me and she sees good things for my future.

Then she told me what she was going to be doing.  I have never worked for a woman who has been such a great boss and a great person, considering my shock first before sharing her excitement.  Kudos to her. 

The next three months as she transitions out will be interesting and slightly stressful.  I am looking forward to my Saturday long runs in the woods to pound out, think through and process what is going to be quite an exciting corporate roller coaster of decisions hopefully resulting on me taking on more responsibilities and stumbling into more interesting and eye opening projects.

Friday: 0.  I've been looking for Spinning Podcasts and had hoped to find one and use it on Friday.  Well that didn't happen, finding a podcast, they exist, I am sure they do. Any suggestions?  I have some leads I just need to spend some time on this project.  Finalizing a data submission took up most of the morning and then trying to calm down a very excitable person about the errors and corrections on the data submission took twice as long as it should have.  All went as I expected it would, actually smoother than I expected, this totally threw my teammate into a tailspin.  Eventually she stopped spinning long enough to listen.  Hey, there WAS some spinning in my day!  The conversation ended with the usual comment on how can you stay so calm about this and keep track of all this data.  I dunno, I'm amazing? *snark*

The second Friday of the month is Fiber Fest, no not a baking class on bran, a group of knitters meeting at a local watering hole to knit, chat, show off projects, and drink.


It is called "Wingspan" a scarf consisting of a series of triangles, very addictive to knit, this is #3 since December 20th
Pretty nifty shape, wraps twice around the neck, warm and pretty!

Saturday: 15.4  The plan was 18 and some exploring.  Check on the exploring, I'm three short on the 18, I'll chalk that up to bad GPS signal and not lose any sleep over it, ok I won't but it is a nice thought, right?

Taking Greg's advice, not that Dave hasn't mentioned this to me a bazillion times, but what wife actually listens to their husband, I 'burped' my hydration bladder.  Huh, no sloshing.  Took a few miles to get used to the lack of noise.  I really didn't need to keep my ears peeled for anyone, not a great day to be on the trails for the bikers.  It was muddy, messy, and a looming threat of rain according to the forecast, the sky kept telling me a different story, well till it didn't all in all a perfect day to run on trails!  (well maybe not for the trails)


Tracking Trailis Runnerous Animalis (not my tracks, not even sure if these are running shoes)
I have no idea what changed, running started being fun and enjoyable again!  I hadn't realized how much it wasn't until well it started to be enjoyable again.  I'm sure I am not a statistical anomaly, well maybe in the fact I didn't actually realize I wasn't enjoying running for the past few months, not in the running isn't enjoyable.

My pace wasn't anything to write home about, lots of slogging, a few hikers and dogs to stop and meet, trying not to get my feet soaked until I absolutely had to, checking out the gutted deer along the trail, sliding in mud, and trying not to break my ass by slipping and falling.  It was fun, my knees are killing me at the moment, otherwise the rest of me is happy and I haven't even properly rehydrated with a beer and vitamin I, yet!


Saw this on a friends blog and thought, oh how appropriate!

I ran Burlingame, the main loop, a couple off-shoots and ventured on the North South Trail until it was too much asphalt.  And I really didn't relish running up the hill I turned around on when I was about halfway down, I can be wimpy and I own it when I am.  The rain kicked up a bit and tampered back down and kicked up and tampered back down; I knew when I got to the car I'd call it a day, my hips and quads were burning and I knew my knees would be chiming in with their own complaints later in the day.

I can't get any of the Strava thing to load... buggers...  Oh well, anyone else having this issue?  Maybe it is time for a new laptop for me?  (hey anything to get something where the C key works without me having to wiggle it would be nice!)

Sincerely,
Beth, may not know how to burp a baby but can burp a hydration bladder.


1 comment: