Sunday, November 27, 2016

Ann Arbor Turkey Trot - Recap


What exactly is there to say about a 5K?  Not much.  I had no goals other than to enjoy running free on the streets of Ann Arbor (MI) on Thanksgiving morning, a little sun would have been nice, but it is SE MI in the winter months, so yeah, highly unlikely.

The race started at 8:30 a.m. so I had to be out of my parents house by 7:15 a.m. this is BEFORE the sunrises, which kind of sucks.  I felt like I was sneaking out, I know my parents don't sleep all that soundly and having someone else in the house is disruptive.  Seemed like a reverse of my teenage years, ha ha....

Parking was free and it took me one wrong turn to get my bearings in the one way street grid of A2.  I found what I was looking for and got my bib.  Wow was it weird to see the back  Beth Lazor-Smith, 49, Westerly, RI.  49?  When the HELL did THAT happen?  I can't possibly be that old, although ask my knees and they'll agree.



I was hoping to find some rejected shirts from prior years, as I have found one of the other two times I've run this 5K.  I people watched to pass the time, lots of turkey hats, I left mine at my parents, oh well, too many turkey hats anyhow.  Lots of families and costumes.  Nice to see.

Oh well, no reject shirts, my Nephew loved the shirt I got for him a few years ago, in fact it was his first day of school shirt!



It was a lollipopish route, I managed negative splits so something is going better for me! 33:49, nothing to write home about, however considering how well I haven't been running I'm hanging my hat on the negative splits!



Overall results here, some serious runners and some not so serious in the 3,000 +  runners who gathered to run.

I'll send the Nephew the medal, he will probably like that.  This wasn't a great Thanksgiving for him, he had bronchitis, he and his mom.  Ugh.  Poor kid.

Sincerely,
Beth, on the look out for turkeys

One of the more deluxe 'tree stands' on my parent's property.
Photo by my SIL Judy



No comments:

Post a Comment