Monday, November 28, 2016

Weekly Recap: 11/21/16 - 11/27/16

This was going to be another travel week, but I'd have more opportunity to run, so that was good.

After Sunday and all the cold my hip ached, I knew that feeling and tried to ignore it because well that worked so well before.  Monday was back to work for a day, I know it seems silly but it was jut the right amount of time to tidy up a few things and catch up with co-workers before everyone was off to their different Thanksgiving activities.  I couldn't run at lunch time so it was a bit after, it was fine.  Mikey stopped by to see my award and advise that I needed two shirts and gloves.  I guessed on the hat and I guessed right, I needed it.  The wind was whipping and cold ears are never fun!  I trotted around my usual route and felt fine, my knees were screaming cold.  Probably time to consider knickers to keep my knees warm!

Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal in the non-running world, wait
I am big deal in the running world, I have A LOT of DFL to my name, '
race directors quake when they see my name on the entrants list!  It's gonna be a long day...
HA HA HA!!


Up and at 'em to pack on Tuesday, driving out to MI to spend Thanksgiving with my parents, my youngest brother and his wife.  The roads were crowded but not crazy crowded, other than in Connecticut where the drivers are crazy, period.



As expected woke up to rain on Wednesday, its raw and miserable, I'm not amenable to running in that so I didn't; perfect day for knitting, chatting, reading, and napping.  The napping where you wake up and have no idea where you are napping.  It was awesome!

http://www.kaspareks.biz/postcards.htm 

Thanksgiving started with the Turkey Trot, write up here.  Mark and Judy arrived at noon as expected, we took a walk around the property before dinner.  I took the opportunity to climb up in the tree stands and see what I could see.  My mom wouldn't like it if I did it when I walked with her and I really didn't want to do it on my own for fear they weren't really well secured, because that could end badly.  At least Mark or Judy could go for help!  Nothing went sideways so that was good.

To the right are Roger's grain elevators, I could see at least 1/2 mile, maybe a bit more.

Dinner was excellent and I know I ate far to much.  Even eating far to much at my parents isn't as disastrous as it is at my in-laws.  The amount of butter and salt in her food is obscene and I don't think my father cooks with much, if any, and his cooking doesn't require salt and butter to taste good.

Decided it would be a good idea to run around the block on Friday morning, this is 5 miles any way you slice it.  I knew it was going to be a cold wind going "North" so I didn't do the out and back to the hard top road and just went for the usual block.  Saw a couple people who must have recognized me; I got some hearty waves.  Always nice to see someone on the straight flat muddy roads.  My mom thought I might have gone into town to run.  I may do that next time.  The mind numbing sameness of it all makes me crazy.  At least the loop I run at work I see people and I think that keeps me more engaged?  Got to the Wagner's and their dogs have been dealing with hunters so they came woofing and barking and running full out to see who I was.  I think they recognized me?  I stopped and walked, never smart to run by dogs.  Once they got me to their barn driveway they went back to whatever it was they were doing and I resumed my run.



Up and out on Saturday for the drive back to RI.  I thought I was being sneaky waiting until I got to the Meijer's in Oregon, OH to get some more Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter.  Well they were out, jokes on me.  Crap...   Dave did comment we need a better beer storage system and he hasn't drunk a local beer in a long time, I guess we have enough?  Naw....  The drive was uneventful, I took the long way with the intent at stopping at Southern Tier Brewery, well I overshot it by 50 miles. DAMN IT.  I thought it was further in to NY than it was.  Poor planning on my part.  The drive along the Southern Tier was interesting, it was dark before I got to Binghamton NY and that is one of the more prettier parts of that way.  Poor planning all the way around.  It happens, not like that was my last trip.



I was happy to be home and sleep in my own bed although sleeping in on Sunday was only till 7:30, Dave was up and out for a ride and the dogs required attention and feeding.  I decided I'd take Gus out to Barn Island for a run/hike.  See what he was in the mood for.  Running was good by him and we did that.  We also got very very very lost.  I really should pay attention to him, he is smarter than I am in the woods.  After we finally plowed through a bazillion thorns and trespassed on someone's yard we got to a main road I recognized from running and we trekked two miles back to the car on asphalt.   Definitely not Gus' idea of fun.  Never a dull moment?



This is mostly what I was trying to do.  Thanks to Jeff W for sending this to me, the blue circle is where it went pear shaped. The perimeter was what I was hoping I was on.  While I was jogging back down the hard top with Gus and my bloody legs, I wondered if I went down by the RR tracks at Greenhaven if I'd get back on the trail, looks like that was the case.  I might try parking down there and seeing if I can find my way back to where I lost the trail.  Shoot!!!





Mileage:
Feet:  24.6 for a yearly total of 1,543.2 against a straight line target of 1,829.3 (full goal 2,016) and an adjusted full year target of 1,702 or 1,660.  Can (Will) I close the gap on either of the adjusted targets with 5 weeks of running? Probably, my life doesn't depend on it, so either way I'm good.
Saddle: 0 for a yearly total of 1,463.9 against a straight line target of 1,829.3 (full goal 2,016) and an adjusted full year target of 1,644 or 1,590.  Can (Will) I close the gap on either of the adjusted targets with 5 weeks of cycling?  Probably, my life doesn't depend on it, so either way I'm good.



Sincerely,
Beth, surprisingly didn't catch a cold with a month of travel, whoop!

1 comment:

  1. You had quite the month of travel, indeed! Congrats on the General Counsel award, and welcome back to RI. Are you staying around for a while now? :)

    ReplyDelete