Sunday, February 12, 2017

Weekly Recap: 2/6/2017 - 2/12/2017

I have never been a Super Bowl fan, for as long as I can remember, probably back to the second or third one.  Perhaps January 1968? They are a source of stress and discontent. Anyhow. I've been watching them for the past couple years, and slowly getting over my hatred of them.  Super Bowl LI was freaking amazing.  I really thought the Pats had lost it, and BOOM they started playing actual football.  AMAZING.  All that aside, really, I am sick to death of women pointing out Lady GaGa's pooch.  Are you freaking kidding me?  The woman has to breathe, how the hell else does someone do that except through their belly when singing and dancing. OhMyFreakingGod I'm sick to death of it, the constant nit picking, even in the name of saying how wonderful she is. Even the bones and muscle women runners I know have this apparent horror.  It's called belly breathing, give it a freaking break.  Can't we go back to where we are hard on only ourselves?  Life was much better then.  Now not only to I have to be uber critical of myself, I have to be uber critical of other women?  Please someone take away my woman card, I don't have time for this nonsense.

Ok so that's off my chest on this Monday.


If you are going to ship me somewhere don't put that Jax in the box!!

Not a running day and it was a beautiful day for running and the next three running days are going to be not so great.  Oh well.  It is what it is.  Thursday is supposed to snow, which is great for running, but I have some big deal people in for a meeting and at least I MAY know by 1 p.m. on Wednesday how Thursday may play out depending on what the dispatcher at aviation has to say...   I may take Friday off to day drink my stress away if this all goes how it seems to be playing out.

Spin was good, my shoulder still aches from my tumble on Sunday.  Vitamin I helps that, and as long as I don't do something stupid like try and swing it around or put a lot of pressure on it I am good.  Planking was a bit tough, I managed to put a bit more weight on the right than the left so that was OK.  Maybe I'll be at 2 minutes by the end of the week.  I'm oh so very close.

Dave decided he wanted to come with on the dog walk, he'd walk Jax and I'd walk Gus.  None of the three of us knew how to process this, especially when he tried being the Alpha Dog, clearly MY role when I take the dogs on a walk, the two of them looked at me like WTF Beth, this isn't right, do we HAVE to listen to him?  Why join us on the walk?  Good question!  Jax's ACL is probably the problem and while it's easy to say no activity, if you have ever met ACTION JAXSON, you'd know just how impossible this is.  Dave figured street walking on a leash would be better than hiking, and he is probably correct.

Yeah, I may be a bit grouchy...  it may get better, it may not...

And we are due to have snow, maybe a little maybe a lot, who knows, maybe The Race in the LI Sound will cause it to swing inland.  No one knows.  SO I spent Tuesday afternoon canceling services and rescheduling meetings that were supposed to happen with the division leadership team on site on Thursday.  And I may spend the balance of Wednesday doing this too.  It's a nice break?  Ha, not really.

Got in a decent run before all of the chaos ensued. Yeah me, having to catch up on all the eMail traffic.  What a bunch of utter nonsense.  I have to print out my training plan and hang it at my desk.  I think today was 4 miles of fartlets, and well we all know I shy away from speed work.  What I did do was use a metronome to help with my cadence.  Goal cadence is 180, but you can't go from 165 to 180, so 175 it is and I hit that for the first two miles (well 172 and 174 close enough in hand-grenades and napalm) and it dwindled from there 168, 164 and 164.  What was different was my suffer score, not in the epic range for the pace I ran.  So maybe so many month of my plodding pace was good?  Who knows.  It's also cyclical, and we will leave it at that.   I may need to back it down to 170?  Not really sure, we shall see how Thursday goes.

Nice Spring day greeted us for Wednesday.  It was seriously so hard to not don hat and gloves for the hill loop with Ro.  I didn't and was happy I didn't.  I got very warm as it was with long sleeves. We kept up a good clip speed walk more than walk and not quite a run, a good work out either way.  The work day was as frustrating as so many have been until a new project landed on my desk.  FINALLY something new!  I'm excited to have something new to learn and apply over the next year!!!  It was very scary to admit I was bored and wanted a new challenge.  I got one!!  

Spin was a tabata class.  20 second intervals with 10 second rest, the 10 seconds feels like 1 second.  no breaks, barely a chance to wipe off sweat or drink water.  I LOVE these classes.  They are exhausting, and so worth it. 

With the pending snow I am giddy with anticipation.  Hoping to wake up to snow covered roads and take Gus for an adventure.  I know it's a running day and I need to abide my training plan, but the fun of running and romping in the snow can't be passed up. Besides the 'long runs' are the important ones, right?   Snow oh wonderful snow!!!  

Well, waking up on Thursday was to the sound of rain on the roof.  Well crap, this is not what I was hoping for.  At least Wednesday was the sound of the morning dove....  Guess this is all better than that damn rooster that used to live across the street!

By 9 a.m. it started turning into snow so I got ready for a run!  Managed 5 miles in the icy pellets eventually turning to snow.  It was grand.  I stuck close to the house doing the 'fingers' with the shoes with screws in the bottom for traction.  The post man and the police officer I saw no less than 5 times suggested maybe I had a screws lose!  Ha!!



After I got back and showered the wind kicked up and it looked pretty miserable outside.  I got out at the perfect time. 

Working at home really isn't my thing.  Dave had the CNC machine running and that is noisy and annoying.  The dogs ventured in and out of the dining room / bike garage to see what I was up to and if that stove was going or not.  If it was going they would settle in until it shut off and then go back to the one in the other room.  Fickle creatures.  Focusing was tough for me, considering I work in open space and every 5 seconds there is a distraction and I can stay focused.  I totally missed the gal popping bubble wrap for 30 minutes.  I keep hearing about this and vaguely recall something but nothing enough to distract me.... huh...  yet the sound of hummmmm hummmm cutttttt cutttt annoyed me.  Who knows.  

We got shoveled out and ready to escape the house on Friday morning!

Amazingly the roads were horrible, the plow went up and down our tiny street 10 times. I was expecting clear pavement on Friday morning.  Twas not.  Even the highway was a disaster.  Huh.  I was really surprised.  Well we did get nearly a foot of snow, so there is that.  Work was pretty empty, the Jackass and the Cheesehead were at work.  Cheesehead is new to the group of misfits; he's starting to loosen up a bit.  

Chris's core and functional strength class included 3 sets of running up 108 stairs. Are you kidding me with this?  We did 3 sets of 30 second planks, right side, left side, and forearm.  My left shoulder is still a bit tender from my crash last weekend.  I managed through all of this and did my Personal Best (PB) plank after class!  

Dave called about 5:30 wondering where I was, and if I'd like to take the dogs to Arcadia to snowshoe and see the moon.  Really this was so he could see if the snowmobiles had been out and packing down some trails so he could take out the Fat Bike.  Sure I was game, but could we please eat dinner first.  Dinner was going to be hamburgers and it has been eons since we've been to B&B Dockside for burgers.  Their beer menu is limited, but the burgers... I was struggling The TK or The Elvis Made Fat.  I went with The TK.  Love the fried egg on the burger.  It was below 20F so the pups, even bundled up, weren't going to be up for being out too long.  We managed a little over a mile in 30 minutes and they were running to the car to get out of the cold.   The moon was beautiful as were the trees covered in snow.  It is so peaceful.  



On tap for Saturday was supposed to be 3 miles, I snowshoed 3.7 miles with Ro instead and tore up my heels, I mean seriously tore them up.  Bleeding blisters, quarter sized chunks of skin gone.  Of all the idiotic things to do.  My socks were too thick.  That's my theory on why this happened.  I got my heels bandaged up and relaxed the rest of the day until the dogs couldn't stand it any more and had to get out for anything, something, if you don't take us out we are going to make you INSANE with our whining and pacing and nose whistling and, of course, the Dumb Game.  We walked a mile and that was ok so I was sure I'd be fine for my first 'long run' per my remedial 1/2 training plan.  

Ro:  Where do you look when you do selfies?
Me:  At myself
Ro: Oh this is my favorite!

Planking happened, neither meeting close to my goal but a total of over 3 minutes.  It happened so kudos on that.  Not sure what my deal was.  I think it is tougher to do barefoot?  Or in silence?  Not sure what my dysfunction was.

After another spectacular night of sleep Sunday was looking to be good.  A bit of girly stuff in the morning followed by 6 miles in the snow and a short dog hike.  I have to get through this mental thing with the planking, I made it 1:28.64  WTF is your deal Beth, get through it.  Probably the no shoes thing?  Totes easier to plank in bike shoes.  Maybe I'll just put them on?  I'm weird, what can I say?

My screw shoes didn't fail and my 6.3 miles of hills around the house was great. It's the rare neighbor who actually shovels their walk so I knew I'd be in the roads.  Figured I'd try a Muddy and do a Road Gobble with the ones in my 'hood.  Got all but Voes, Wilcox, and Gravity, oh and my full street.  That was kind of fun and I felt safe between my shoes and being close to home.   

Dave and I took the beasts to the woods and they had a bit of a struggle in the footish of heavy snow.  This wore them out and they were two sacked out pups after dinner, ahhhhh....

Can you see Jax?

Mileage:

Feet:  34.2
Saddle: 30


Books:

Finished: "A Mad, Wicked Folly" by Sharon Biggs Waller, what a nice novel, I loved it! Vickie did her part in the Women's Suffrage movement in the UK and eventually gained slight approval from her father.

Started: "The Tycoons: How Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, Jay Gould and J.P. Morgan Invented the American Supereconomy" By Charles R. Morris  time for something a little less fairy-tale and a little more real life.   Plus I have a HUGE crush on John D. Rockefeller, yeah I know he's dead, maybe admiration is better?  Carnegie and Gould were, in my opinion, arrogant powerhouses for wee tiny men.  The verdict is still out on J.P. Morgan, I think he did a lot of things simply to piss off his father.  I'll enjoy this one, I'm sure, let's see if my going in opinions of these men prevails.

Sincerely,
Beth, glad to get all that off her chest for the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment