Sunday, April 9, 2017

Weekly Recap: 4/3/2017 - 4/9/2017

Slowly getting in to the grove of one day a week in NY, back to reading heavy subject matter, and slowly finishing the sweater!

Monday was a nice day, and I ran so little last week I opted to run and bailed on Ro's spin class.  It was a good run, actually an excellent run I managed 3 miles at a really decent pace for me!  All told I was under a 10 minute mile average for 6.4 miles and I haven't seen that in a long time.  And I didn't feel dead.  I also managed 4 minutes of planking!!!  I'm really starting to feel a difference when I run.



Rain was in the forecast for Tuesday and it started really early in the morning and was coming down in buckets in the morning.  I opted to park in the parking garage and not fight with the wind and an umbrella.  I am so grateful I have this as an option.  The skies cleared for my run and I was very grateful for this also.  A bit of a sprinkle but an Easterly 23 MPH wind was more of my worry.  I knew I'd be a little tired from Monday and decided to go as flat as possible and stayed in a neighborhood south of campus.  It worked perfectly as going back to campus would be running to the north up a slight incline and the wind would be at my back.  By the time it was going to be 5 miles when I'd get back to the gate I knew I was done, so I opted for 5 instead of 6.  I do want to get back to 6 as my minimum run, I also don't want to spend a year like I did last year in pain, so there is a give and take.



My usual routine is power hills with Ro on Wednesday, we were both feeling off and were taking it easy.  Well Garmin told me a different story, we were right on target for where we want to be!  And we both really thought we were taking it easy.  Guess this is paying off!



Both the boys got a walk because Thursday I'm in NY and it was supposed to be rain all day.  Well they won't know anything but not getting a walk on Thursday, but if it is raining when I get home then I won't feel too guilty.

It was a hell day on Thursday, extra early because I needed to leave early and then a meeting and I wanted to curl up in a ball and sleep or rip someone's lips off.   And that is that.



I slept like the dead until Friday morning.  Gus got me up at the usual 3 a.m. and I couldn't even lift up the covers to let him snuggle.  He crawled on top of me and made himself comfortable, I was out, Jax was in his usual spot.  Hopefully I'll get used to this Thursday thing.  It may have been easier to deal with on Tuesdays because I was more alert?  I'm not sure.

Strength and Core (or whatever it is called) was at the gym at work. I get in one class a week and my daily planks, it's more than what I was doing a year ago, probably still not enough, but what is enough?  I'm happy with my progress.  If there is progress then it is enough!

Went for a bike ride when I got home from work.  I wanted 30 miles, I got 20.  The wind was killing me, more my toes were FROZEN.  I should have worn my winter boots.  In any event it was a good ride, other than the wind, and 20 at a decent effort for this early in the season is a win!



On my schedule was 12 miles, I didn't get in a second hill workout so I decided to run the Nooseneck 18K route on Saturday as that has hills and while I'd short myself I mile I'd be ok with that especially with that finish.  Sunday was going to be overtaken with working the Clamdigger and possibly a bike ride so better to JFGID (Just Fing Get It Done) as former boss used to say.

All went well, I remembered, one right turn and then left at every through road.  Well until I missed the last through road and went straight.  It started looking unfamiliar and familiar in all the wrong ways.  Oh there is the parking lot at the top of Pinto Hill in Big River.  Wait, am I supposed to pass that?  Hmmm not sure... mile 7 clicked off somewhere before that and there was new tar so I stopped looking for mile 8.  This was long about mile 9 I realized something was terribly amiss.  Did I turn around and go back how far was it?  And it was up hill.  Fuck...  I thought, well this has to run into Nooseneck and I can go left and get to my car, right?

Well not quite.  After consulting a driver I flagged down at a stop sign I did head in the correct direction, which, for me, is pretty darn excellent.  What I didn't realize was just how far off course I was!!!

By the time I was 12 miles in I noticed a DEM officer, two actually.  I decided to see if they would assist me.  They were happy to offer all sorts of advice and give me a ride 2.5 miles back to my car!  I was never so happy to see Eddie in my life...  well in his life, there have been many occasions where I have been ecstatic to see my car for one reason or another.

I was supposed to turn Left on to Henry Brown the yellow line....
I got distracted with some bike course markings at the corner?

For all the walking I did the last couple miles my pace wasn't too bad.  I think I'm ready to run 13.1 miles in a couple weeks.

Nothing hurt more than normal aches and pains after running.  Guess the cross training and planking are helping?

Volunteered at my running club's spring race on Sunday.  I was out of sorts after a night of not sleeping, taking 1 Advil PM, and my brain process my being lost yesterday.  After a nap I got all sorted and took Gus out to a local preserve that was 'resting' over the winter.  I missed this preserve and the Land Trust did a lot of clean up of trees and widening some paths.  I stayed mostly away from where they were working, it looked so unfamiliar to me and I didn't have my trusty map!

The Big Rock was still where it was, after the big mud puddles.
Gus was a happy dog to have lots of mud before and after the rock.


Knitting:

Not much, Better Call Saul was on the DVR and one of the shows Dave and I enjoy watching, so I pulled out the sweater and one row takes 10 minutes at this point.  It was a 10 minute segment on Gus.  I thought the show wasn't back on till the 10th.  It's all good man!

Books:

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi back to the heavy subject material.  This was Paul's story about his short life, a life ended by lung cancer.  Really a beautiful almost poetic autobiography Paul wrote in his last year of life.  

I started Wilde Lake by Laura Lippman, she can write some pretty deep and disturbing stuff to.  Seems to be that holds my interest the best?

Mileage:

This was a high foot mileage week for me, over 40 miles (42.5 with 29 of them running).  Not surprising I am feeling it today, and could account for my off feeling on Thursday.

I'm glad to be able to get outside and bike at least once a week.  A Sunday ride was an idea not materializing, the nap was a better use of my time. 



All in all a good week, slightly on the moody side. Hopefully the weather is on the mild and sunny side, maybe a little less wind?

Sincerely,
Beth, noticing how much pain she isn't in compared to a year ago.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good week even with the crappy weather and the travel. I need to check out one of those books. I can only read if it holds my attention the entire time. Otherwise, I'm too ADD. Haha.

    ReplyDelete