Sunday, March 3, 2019

Sorry folks, the woods are closed

2/25/2019 - 3/3/2019

Monday (0) - I haven't had a 0 day since Feb 1st, so it's ok right?  Between a crazy schedule, my utter lack of motivation, oh yeah I left my computer at home and had to go back home, I didn't run, in fact, I did nothing, only the long walk to the cafe for lunch.  All in all a very uninspired day.

Jax (like Diesel) is ball obsessed.  He has a variety of them, all different, all the plastic "Chuckit" balls (Diesel wore down his teeth chewing on tennis balls, probably more due to all the sand they accumulated).  I have often wondered if there is a ball off the day or a ball of the event.  It has to be a specific ball.  Dave says "It's the one that calls to him."  I wondered if there was a Monday Ball a Tuesday Ball etc...
I decided to take a picture of each ball each day, so I'd remember which one.  This was the ball he used every day for breakfast ball and dinner ball and dumb game ball.  Huh...  

Tuesday (5) - Feeling rather grouchy from the constant dull headache from the prednisone I went out for a run.  It was windy I stuck to the neighborhood behind the golf course, at least with the various turns I was in and out of the wind.  I sucked it up and ran back up Shennie, taking a cut off through Branford Manor, same distance, only hoping to maybe cut some of the wind, not so much.

Polar does this thing where it rates your run, generally, my 5-mile runs are demanding or very demanding.  I should look up how they categorize these things.  Anyhoodles, this run was Extreme.  Wow!  Thinking maybe the max heart rate of 180 was part of that.  While Polar is supposed to be best in class on HR monitoring, I still am skeptical of the wrist HR for anything other than directionally correct.  The rating seems in line with how I felt, the wind really beat me up!

I'm willing to put up with the prednisone headache because of the benefits.

Wednesday (5 + 2) -  Today marks the day The Smith's ruined it for everyone...

It is hill day and I did most of the hills and added in a different one to take a more downhill route back to campus, plus avoid the smokers in-front of EB.

I contemplated doing School St and Fort St hills, but I felt good running I kept on running.  This run was Very Demanding versus extreme on the Polar scale.  I really should look up how they grade these things.  For now, I'll feel all badass about my runs, why ruin it with reality? right?

My hip let me know it was not happy about running two days in a row.  It was very ouchy, and probably will be for a few days.  I still can't figure out exactly what is wrong.  I think it is muscle related and hurts the worst when I roll over in bed. 

On my way home Dave texted to take Jax on a hike, he does this when he knows he needs to get the little black dog out but has less than an ounce of desire to go alone.  I'm happy to go along.  It's nice to be in the woods no matter what time of day.

Well, it seems this isn't the same feeling one of the DEM agents has about people in the woods at night.  Technically we aren't supposed to be there from 1/2 hour past sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, we are breaking the rules, but it was light when we started on our hike.

We neared the car to the sound of someone shouting "hello".  Earlier we saw a mountain biker going over the bog bridges, the 20 bog bridges, we wondered if maybe s/he was having some problems and saw our headlamps?  Nope, a DEM agent or are they DEP out here?  Concerned about our welfare. She felt the hood of our car and it was cold so we had been gone a long time (um, it's 22F, that may have something to do with the engine cooling down?)  She was worried we were hurt and lost in the woods and after a police wellness check calling our residence turned up a disconnected number she was more concerned and was going to call in a search party.  I wonder now if this is what Jonny saw in December?  Sorry for ruining it for everyone else who roams the woods at night, even when we aren't supposed to, on their feet or their bikes.  We didn't mean to get caught.  Fortunately, the time change is 10 days away and we will have an extra hour of daylight!

I probably should update my phone number with the DMV?

Thursday (1 + 3) -  We had a little snow overnight, 10 maybe 20 flakes.  I wondered where Jackass was and then I got the IM.  I'm still giggling.  I'm a horrible person, between ruining the woods and laughing at a friend, something bad will befall me.  I wonder what could be next, and I probably shouldn't tempt fate like that.

Today is the day Amy worked on my bound up hip.  She congratulated me for finally mentioning my hip still hurts and proceeded to jam her elbow in to find the tenderest and ouchiest spot and manipulate my leg to see how much the bound up area would give.  I could feel the tension radiate down my quad to the top of my foot. Brilliant.  To make sure I had time for that fun I shortened my elliptical and booty core (day #19) to 30 minutes total.  I know that while it was a bit uncomfortable during and will be for a day or so after by Sunday or Monday I won't be wincing turning over in bed.

Tasty.  I need to pick some more up and stash it.

Dave surprised me by wanting to take Jax on another night hike.  This time we went across state lines to Connecticut to the 'back' entrance of Barn Island. The double track loop is 3-miles.  Not as many owls hooting, but Dave was sure he heard coyotes and thought I should also be concerned.  I probably should, but since he is, I can enjoy the hike and listen to the owls, and look at all the pretty stars in the sky (and they were very pretty on Thursday night).  He announced that was the last night hike if Earl was leery of coyotes he was going to be too.  Well ok then, I guess unless I want to take on the worry job that is that.  Frankly, I enjoy enjoying being out in the woods at night and being the worrier would ruin that, clearly, as it has done for Dave.  

Friday (5) - The usual work route.  Probably not the best call, my hip is tender, I wanted to run.  The first mile lied and said the run would be awful and painful.  By mile 2 everything felt fine, looking at my splits on Strava I was moving slower, however, I didn't feel like I was dragging.  After the run I used the trigger point massage ball on the ouchy parts, keep that fascia and scar tissue broken up, they don't need to reunite.  While running I thought about the time Gizmo and I were on a walk and found part of a broken sled in Wilcox Park.  There is a wee hill and I loaded us on that broken piece of a sled and whizzed down the hill.  Gizzy gave me a "What the actual fuck was that Beth" look and then we did it again.  The next time he seemed to think it was pretty ok based on how much he did his crazy run and bark once we got to the bottom.  Ah, the old Gizzy.  A memory of him helping himself to my beer popped up in FB.  Crazy old coot he was.

This was Feb 2016.  He demanded a lick of my beer, every time after that.
He passed May 2016, I knew it was coming, might as well indulge the old chap.

I got home and was greeted with the usual shenanigans from the Little Black Dog and a question from Dave "Hike?"  "Sure, but it is 4:30 we could be out after dark."  We went up to Arcadia hiked slowly and goofed around a lot with the LBD and were on the hardtop road out of the park by 6:06.  Sunset was 5:37, we had a minute to spare!  No police welfare check for this 'family'.  It was a nice hike.  I do like Arcadia, a bit further of a drive than Burlingame, but considering Wednesday...  

And Dave way off in the distance.  We were out for a short hike to have fun, Jax and I did!

Saturday (2) - I chased an Alleve with a 7% pint of porter on Friday night.    My hip was so unhappy.  At least this gave me a chance to relax around the pain, you know how pain makes you tense and that makes more pain.  My theory, but seems to help.  Saturday morning I was able to roll over easily to grab Jax and have him snuggle with me.  He HATES snuggling.  That lasted all of 5 minutes, he had breakfast at 6:30 a.m. and I was wide awake.  I thought I'd play housewife and made coffee and baked blueberry muffins. That was fun.  Dave eventually turned up.  Jax fell asleep in front of the fire.  I enjoyed far too many of the muffins and Jax had bits and pieces.

It looks like he melted.

Decided I'd do some "Yoga for Mobility"  Gak I am so not flexible anymore, probably part of my hip issues and that whole advancing age thing does a lot to zap flexibility.

We took Jax to Woody Hill late in the day, figuring the herd of mountain bikers would be done on their fat bikes.  We got a good amount of snow, and then some rain.  Early would have been good fat biking conditions.  There was a set of tracks in and out of the entrance and not a footprint or fat bike track in site.  So much for all the chatter on the NEMA Mountain Biking FB page about going to Woody Hill.  Sir George and his crew went to Arcadia so at least someone holds their word!

First tracks.

We enjoyed the place all to ourselves for another short hike.  

He likes to play "Stick".  Break a long stick  (while one of us holds it) till it is a short stick and run with it. 

Sunday (3) - Note to self, 1/2 a blueberry muffin over the course of a day upsets Jax's stomach.  He woke me up at 5 so I could hear his grumbly tummy and let me know he needed to go out.  Of course, it's 5 a.m. and I thought I could persuade him otherwise.  He got up and barfed, I let him out while I cleaned up the mess and then went back to bed.  Not for long, he was serious about now being fed as his stomach was empty.  Popped a couple tums in his food and he devoured it and came back to bed.  Fortunately, everyone let me sleep for a few more hours.  Ugh... 

The edge of the habitat restoration field.  This trail went into the Candlewood Ridge area.

At a reasonable hour I got Jax and me out to Avery Farm Nature Preserve & Candlewood Ridge.  The maps didn't have any indication on how long the trails were,  the preserve is just shy of 400 acres, 3 miles of trail wasn't going to be difficult.  What I wasn't sure about was is this really an undiscovered gem or will the place be riddled with people on this lovely sunny 40F day?   It was the former.  We found 3 miles of trails easily, another big loop would add on another mileish.  The trails are well marked and on one trail we were the only tracks. Other than deer and another pawed four-footed animal.  We ran across a father and his two kids, and a mountain biker.  Jax was the best behaved he has been in a long time.  Pshew.  Part of the preserve was being restored for wildlife habitat, this part is very open and exposed.

The main trail, a few footprints, and a mountain bike wheel print.


The designer of Rusty Nail made this pattern with a lot of stockinette stitch to calm her mind.  I was a little concerned this was going to make me go batty.  I am really enjoying the miles of not having to think knitting (constantly checking the pattern).  

I was surprised how easy this pattern was to memorize.

This is the only part where there is a pattern, the right and left side of the cardigan.  It is sooooo soothing.

I joined the sleeves, while it looks a little short the sleeves are raglan and the sweater is sized for a woman about 5 inches shorter than me.  

From the needles to the base of the sweater is 8" if you are trying to gauge size.

Saturday's progress.  Needle to base approximately 11"


by Ron Chernow

Julia is not giving up on Grant running for a 3rd term and they have completed the around the world tour.  

A pretty good week, three runs!  Hip feels much better and that odd stabbing pain in my foot (last week) hasn't reappeared.  I haven't had to frog any massive sections of the sweater.  My ancient iPod continues to chug along. 

Beth the entertainer of Jax

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Jax Moments!! The Snowball, Brilliant. Sure Hope That This Monday Treats Ya Well.

    Stay Strong,