Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tarzan Brown - Recap

1:30 p.m. race on a Sunday, ok.  Up and back on River Road, cool.  Friends, even better.  I was really really nervous for this race.  Was I going to blow up?  Was this going to be horrible?  I know I can run that route at a 10 pace, I did it two weeks ago.  OK, so set a goal of 55 minutes for the 5.5 mile race (which is really more like 5.4, so it looks even better in the record books).

Ran into Crutch on my way from the car to pick up my bib, nice to see a friendly face.  I may be overwhelming with my hugs, though.  Sorry!  He had on hat, gloves, and two shirts, oh shit was I under clothed in my MCM moc tech shirt (it is pretty thick) and a skirt?  Well I do have my Wild Turkey gloves in my purse in the car, I guess I could grab them?  Feh, lets see what the start line feels like.  I don't want to spend the race giving people the bird.

Left glove - I suppose showing the thumb would be helpful....

Got all checked in.  The bib guy says "Oh cool name."  *smile* I love that comment.  Perhaps marrying a beam or gun would also have been good.  But that would have messed with my BELLS initials, and my OCD could go into overdrive.

Found Ro and Mark, finally got to meet Ro's amazing sister!

And the line up starts and talk of finish times and what each was expecting.  I threw out 55, hoping that I could at least maintain 10, especially since the course measures short of the 5.5 miles, so there was a little bit of wiggle room.

Got tapped on the shoulder by people I knew, good luck hugs all the way around.  Yes, Monica, I do know EVERYONE.  HA HA HA!!

And the gun goes off.  And off we go.  Not too cold, not too warm, the wind off the water was nice and calming as my heart was racing.  Yeah, I know pull up your big girl panties and do this thing.  It was nice to have biked along River Road with Dave yesterday, I could remember our conversation about how gorgeous and area we live in, the view running is so different from the view biking.  I huffed it along and got in a grove.  The mile marker sign came up before my watch beeped.  I peeked, 9 ish pace, are you kidding me? Well I feel good just keep it up.   And so on it went as the mile markers went by (and yes I walked two of the water stops) I was peeking and seeing 9 ish pace.  Huh...  I checked the total time and wow, I may come in under 50 minutes.  NO STOP, just STOP, just run silly girl.

I saw the banner and thought THAT was the finish line, I turned up the speed and holy wow, no that wasn't the finish line.  Patrick snapped a nice pic.  Thanks!

Slightly disappointed that wasn't the actual finish line!

Then I finally saw the actual finish line the cones and the timing mat and I went for it. Official time 49:52. Yippiee!!!




Coming up to the line and crossing it I could hear Patrick, Crutch, Ro, and Mark cheering me on.  I nearly ran into Ro, she took one look at me and said "Are you ok?" "Yeah, I just need to walk."  I can't just stop running.  Crutch caught up with me, as surprised as I was with my performance.  We chatted.  The Sullivan's came over to chit chat and comment on 'watching' the marathon.  You can see virtual dots on the course, ok that is pretty cool.  A little big brother scary, however cool.  They had a relative running and for a while I was out running him, then the 1/2 way point hit and the game changed.  All parted ways, I know I was starting to get chilly!!

Caught up with Mark and Ro at the Harp and Hound shared a beer (thanks Mark) and caught up on running, biking, and general nonsense!

Sincerely,
Beth, feeling redeemed, normal, and a little proud of herself.

10 comments:

  1. Great job out there, and great to see you yesterday!!! And yes, you should be proud of yourself, you ran a solid race. See you at the 6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You did awesome!! Quite the year for you!

      Delete
  2. Indeed, you should be proud of yourself, Mrs. Lazor-Beam, I mean Smith. When my son Mark was born, some smart-a&# at work asked me if we were going to name him "Luke Sky". Since her last name was Hobbes, I asked her if she would name any future child "Calvin and". Ah, fun with names.
    Anyway, really nice job out there! Isn't it so cool when you have a goal that you destroy by notching an even lower threshold?! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the fun with names!! I kinda like Luke Sky, but yeah, probably not a good idea... then again my cousin named the unexpected third child Wiley, so... Thank you. It was nice to see that time on the clock. I think that is what I love best about fall the cooler temps really help pick up the pace!!

      Delete
  3. Awesome job Beth – you rocked
    Nice write up
    I like the gloves
    Sorry I missed it
    what next ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the gloves too! They are fun! Newport Pell Bridge run on Sunday and after that Lil' Rhody Run Around. Perhaps Noosneck 18K of wicked hills on the 26th of December? And you?

      Delete
  4. Like a fine Kentucky bourbon, we just keep getting better with age BLS. Great recap, as always. So entertaining! I think you're going to surprise yourself and rock those races many, many more times. Wish I could have been there at TB to rub elbows with that sea of a local running community that always turns out for this one and knocked back a couple IPS's at the finish. Next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I still need to dig into my Bourbon stash, hmmm... better wait till I have a full day to recover!! I always seem to surprise my self in the fall. The cooler temps definitely help! Next year!!

      Delete
  5. Great job Beth! I am so happy to read this. You are back and you rock! Nice gloves too. You may need them Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The cooler temps help, and just loosing that blasted cold and the stress of an upcoming race and fund raising and and and and... I haven't checked the weather for Sun a.m. yet. I love that run over the bridge and the sunrise!!

      Delete