Sunday, December 21, 2014

Old Mountain Field 5K - Recap

Wow is it really the third time I've run this race?  I ran the inaugural in 2011 in my quest to run one race a month for 2012, and then in 2012.  The race didn't happen in Dec of 2013 but in Jan of 2014, and I missed that one .  I got so lost getting there the first and the second time and tradition held, I got lost again, third times the charm?  I've been to OMF other times with Gizmo.  Something about me and Wakefield I get all turned around

Before I left I quickly checked my 2012 race time.  It was very easy as Mike Galoob had made the course a segment and my 34:19 was now the women's course record.  HA!  Before the race the women's course record was set by Shira Fuller 23:06 set in 2012.  And the record stands!!  Go Shira!!

Admittedly this was slightly embarrassing to see on FB this a.m.  I'm honestly not sure why, mostly not wanting to draw attention to myself?  Oh who knows and who really cares?



I never did look at the results,  I'm a bum like that.  Sounds like Greg and Chris had a bit of a battle in politeness towards the end though.  I'll enjoy those race recaps for sure.  It was great to catch up with Chris and have an actual conversation with Greg! Congratulations to Chris for the new Men's Course Record 18:44 or is it 18:41.  Either way damn impressive!

Ok so the race, sometimes I think this series has become more social than running for me, and then I realize it is both.  I remember the first race, it was a bit chaotic in the beginning.  I had no idea this was the kick off the 4th Season Trail racing.  Registration was chaotic, way more people showed up than expected is all I can imagine.  All I knew was I was glad it started late because I got very very lost that year.

Then I knew no one, not a soul and it seemed everyone knew everyone else.  There were team singlets and groups of people and me.  Today, wow I knew so many of the people and recognized so many faces, it was truly cool.   Plus I had a team shirt!  My first race with it!  (and no picture, oh well) There is such an awesome running community in Southern RI, really and truly.  

After a brief warm up and then standing around too long it was tough to get moving again but I managed. My only goal was to beat 34 minutes.  I threw ABC goals out the window, ok I kept the standard C goal of don't die, because, well that is kinda important.  Took the first mile to get my breathing in order and then I got wrapped up in someone else's race for the second mile and finally broke away and ended up chasing Ellen Galoob and her friend the rest of the race.  Those girls were so precious.  Ellen's friend had to stop and tie her shoe, they both stopped and when they caught back up to me I let them by.  Then Ellen's friend was struggling and she put her arm around her and said, "You can do this."  I nearly burst in to tears, it was so sweet.  Plus, Mike, she was non-stop about my dad this and my dad that  It was awesome!!   I felt extremely guilty passing them once we were out of the woods but that quickly subsided when Faith blew by me in the last 200 yards saying something like "Come on Beth".  I grumbled "Bitch".  OH yes I did, I didn't mean it like that!!! And set on trying to catch her.  I didn't, she beat me by 9 seconds or something like that.  Damn it.  She was 10 or so people behind me the whole race.  In all fairness she ran the course before as a warm up and 18 on Saturday.  So she really stomped me good!! No worries we are still friends!

I crossed the finish and shut my Garmin off at 33:18, 1 minute faster than the last time I raced the course!  I'm happy with that.

Results here.

Editors note:  I was 33;19 and Faith was 33:08, 11 seconds... feh it was all fine!  Plus I didn't know Ellen was running with Nate's daughter!  So sweet couple of good kids they are!

Sincerely,
Beth, OMG OMF was my lasts race of the year... I'm kinda sad and I'm kinda glad.

8 comments:

  1. Nice recap! Great to see you there, you missed a great time at the Mews, but props to running again today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a fine race, Beth. Yet another PR; you must be doing something right. Great to catch up with you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pleased and I'm not really sure what I'm doing, so I'll keep doing it till it stops working.

      Delete
  3. Nice write-up, Beth. What a fun start to the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, very fun start! I'll be sad to miss Brrrlingame (maybe the date will change?)

      Delete
  4. Great job BLS. Do you think the speed workouts with Steve and Dave are paying dividends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe they are helping me quite a bit! Racing as well as running in general!

      Delete