Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Twofer Tuesday

One of the things I loved from Ultra training were the days I did doubles to get all the miles in and train my body to run when it was tired.  Tuesdays and Thursdays seem to be the days best suited for doubles.  Jennifer and I have a run scheduled for Tuesday night and I have speed work with the boyz at lunch.  Ro and I have a hill workout on Thursday nights and I get in a run at lunch.  I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, it does create extra laundry and three showers in a day, but for some reason I really do enjoy my twofers.  




The other thing I enjoyed were alternating easy and hard weeks.  I need to plan a little better to continue to incorporate this in my regular maintenance training, seems to  be when I have a few bad runs or can't get them in I declare it an easy week and they seem to be stacking up on each other one after the other, not alternating.  Then again I am hard on myself and haven't really studied the training log in Strava to see what I see.

Today was speedwork with the boyz and all but one of the laps were great.  Including the mulligan my average went up 2 seconds (7:46) , excluding the mulligan my average went down 11 seconds (7:33).  I guess I could split the difference and say it went down 7 seconds?  The trend is in the right direction and laps 1, 2, and 3 hurt progressively more and more, as they should.  Josh and Steve could tell I was going to take a pass on lap 4, my brain and/or body wasn't having any of it.  I ran faster than a usual pace, however slow compared to the rest.  My breathing was much better both commented on this as they pass me off between each other to push along.    I asked them (begged, honestly) to play "crazy track coach" on the last lap, I really needed the verbal abuse to get moving.  They did well!




To pay it forward I've been working with Jennifer on speed.  We did fartlets a few weeks ago and have been running stadium stairs, and tonight we did some track work.  Easy/Fast/Walk/Easy/Fast.  This is her first winter running outside and wow I remember my first winter outside, it sucks till everything gets accustomed to the cold.  



or



We managed 3 fast laps, 3 walks, and 6 easy for a total of 3 miles.  Good for a first effort.  She also is borrowing my Garmin Forerunner 410 so this eliminates the 3/4 of a mile fiddling with her phone to get that all set up to record her run.  I think I got her to press the lap button for every lap so she can get a benchmark to judge progress against.  

Hopefully she will hang with this to get used to the cold, although who could really fault her for retreating into the climate controlled gym?  She actually likes the treadmill...  I know, I worry about her too.

Sincerely,
Beth,  guess with all the darkness there is more time for blogging?  


I'm proud and pleased at what I've accomplished!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Running faster makes you faster. Never doubt doubles. They're the best.

    ReplyDelete