Sunday, March 23, 2014

Brrr-lingame 10 miler - Recap

THIS year wasn't the snowy sufferfest of last year, WHOOP!!

Clean and clear trails, WHOOP!!

I woke up with that, I really should stay in bed feeling. My late afternoon nap didn't do me any favors and I was tossing and turning till damn near 2 a.m.  Oh well!!

The plan was the race, two laps = 10 miles then another lap and the rest of the yellow loop should get me damn close to 24 miles.  The race went well.  I paced my self and really felt Like I could run a full 6 laps (which would get me near that 50K mark).  

Met up with the usual WTAC crew, hi guys, I wasn't feeling really social today.  It happens.  Thanks Johnny for the comments about the post on the NEMBA FB page, yep that Dave Smith is my husband.  Monica and James came down from Providence to run the 5 miler, James placed in his age group!!!   Erica and Peter were there, also for the 5 miler.  Tony ( my neighbor) for the 5 miler, he was curious about these different trails in Burlingame. Nice to see friendly faces!  Just not really chatty...

The first loop, I hung towards the back with Monica and Tony.  Figured we were pretty much the tail end of the race.  Eventually I lost Monica and caught glimpses of Tony every now and then.  Erica and Peter were in a group ahead of me.  Eventually she and her friends separated and left Peter by himself.  

At the point where the trail turns a sharp left.  Where I learned my lesson about how trails are marked, I saw Peter going straight and shouted for him that he should have gone left.  He shouted back that I let him pass the turn so I could pass him.  We laughed.    He asked what mile we were at 3.3 I said and 19 bridges to cross and shouted out 19 and then 18 and decided I had enough of that.  He never did catch up to me.

The trail wound in through the camp ground, sometimes it felt like the flags were on the left and others on the right.  The RD is left handed so it would make sense that the flags would really be more on the left side of the trail, right?  (now who's scratching their head, and asking themselves: is Mike left handed?  and why the hell would anyone pick up on that detail?  of course, if I'm wrong, let me know, I'm pretty sure on this one though, lots of left handers in my family)

From the beginning my legs felt heavy and frankly it felt like my ass weighed 100 lbs, there is junk in the trunk, but not THAT much.  It was torture to pick up my feet in the really leafy sections, but I tried to keep from shuffling, although the sound of the dried leaves was really really nice!!

I knew I was in the tail end, this is where I run and as Jim the EE points out to me after doing a analysis of my races, statistically I have every right to be there.  I love my geeky friend.  Besides, if this were one of those pay a million dollars and get a medal races I'd be solidly middle of the pack, right?   So I pay $15 a couple of canned goods and run on trails I can run for free any other day of the week, where I get timed and the result is forever findable on the internets (thank you Al Gore), and wonder if this will be my next DFL, I wasn't, I actually passed 2 people! 

Lap 1 under 1 hour.  Pshew, I was happy to not have gotten lapped by the winner.  I think with the first Brrrr-lingame in 2012 I got lapped by the front runner.

Ditched my gloves (and remembered to pick them up after the race) for the second lap.  I figured I was the last one, no one behind me was running the 10 miler, right?  

And off to lap two, lost in my thoughts, and actually feeling good considering it felt like I was running through pudding.  At the bridge section I see a group of bikers ahead, and one shouts "Runner"  and the all pulled over.  One of them had on a yellow riding jacket much like what Dave has, I though, oh he came out to see me.  Yeah, right...  Wasn't him.  I thanked all the guys.  One had a camera on his helmet.  Imagine that is some interesting footage?  

And back into the campgrounds, at this point I passed someone.  Muttering they were too tired to run..  I thought, well that sucks.  And now I'm not DFL.... oh well...

Made me think about being the eldest child and how much I hated, truly hated being the first one to do anything (well other than learn how to drive) I was the experiment, sometimes it went horribly wrong, sometimes not.  Anyhoodles it was nice and I was lost in my thoughts about the lack of pressure not being first and managed to not land flat on my face stumbling over a rock well hidden by the leaves!  HA!

2:04 was my final time.  Results here.  After the first lap I figured this would be about a 2:10 venture.  My honest intent was to get in 14 more miles.  That didn't happen.  I made 4 and will give it a go on Sunday.  Feeling a little (ok a lot) of frustration with myself.  Rationally this is one run out of how many training runs and what are training runs for?  To train and to test and to learn.  Now I need to consider if Big River is a Saturday short run and I run long on Sunday or I just keep to my schedule.  I'm not quite settled on the answer to that question, but I think I know the answer, as if 2013 didn't already make it crystal clear what the decision should be.

WTAC took it for the win, of course without my help.  As Jackass would say "Beth you are the diversity hire, enjoy the ride."  I enjoy the beer.  Thanks guys!!  Someday I'll pull my own weight!  I truly am in awe of what each and every one of you accomplish, you all amaze me!

Sincerely, Beth
Enjoying the lovely weather and learning lessons.  And off for a true 24 mile run in the woods.

16 comments:

  1. Great job Beth! Hope the 24 was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow is another day! But I finally figured something out that's been perplexing me for years, so there is that upside!! Being a girl can really suck...

      Delete
  2. Ha! I'm completely RIGHT handed, and not even close to being ambidextrous. I try to put the flags on the side that the next turn is on or in an especially conspicuous spot, visible from the previous one.
    Good running! My only suggestion would be to do most of your extra mileage before the race instead of after. Makes the race truly feel like the longer event coming up and conditions you accordingly. Of course, the race will be much tougher then, but you can brag to the other finishers that you just ran twice as far as them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Color me wrong!! It just seemed like I had to look left more than right to find flags. And yes that sand pit was a treat... Thank you for the tip on running the extra first. That makes sense. Another great race Mike and perfect conditions!!

      Delete
  3. Nice work! Enjoy those beers - spoils of being part of WTAC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did. They were yummy!!

      Delete
  4. I'm totally impressed at the mileage you're racking up, and that you ran the race and went back for more...AND then went out the next day! I was torched on Sunday! Did nada...you're more ready for the Ice Age than you think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crutch! I'm not feeling ready... 6 weeks. *bites nails* oh crap I have none left, better let them grow!!

      Delete
  5. Ha! Towards the end, I didn't know if the flags should have been to my left or my right. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth, great to meet you at the race! Nice job out there! Now here's my speech about DFL (please put up with me if I sound like a teacher, I am a teacher!)

    Your place in a race doesn't matter at all. My fastest 800 ever was a 1:58.0 in college. I came in DFL in that race. (My grandparents were there to watch me run - the only time they've seen me race and they heard I was some big shot runner!) I've won 800's in high school in 2:13. Obviously I was more pleased with my pr, last place race. Just the fact that you're out there giving it your best is all that matters, not your place! And just think of all the people that you are beating that didn't have the guts to jump in a tough race. Any how, preachy lecture over. Happy running :)

    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to meet you too! Lecture away. I'm the daughter and niece of teachers, totally used to it!!

      I'm not that concerned about where I sit in the pack, honestly!! It took a while for me to get there, I remember my first DFL, the Brrr-lingame 2012, I was mortified that I was last, and it seemed to phase no one but me, the awards went on and I skulked to my car feeling like an ass. What I forgot to revel in was the fact that was my first 15K race, and I finished it, I more than finished it, I didn't quit after the first lap, I nearly did, Mike and Becky were there saying "GO GO GO" and I went back out there. I remember on the first lap, on the fire road, running and talking with a woman who said, you picked a hell of a race for your first 15K. Huh... I suppose some smooth flat paved road may have been easier than those trails, but they would have been boring and dull, and what fun is that?

      And hey maybe I'll inspire someone to jump in on a race that scares them a little, instead of wondering if they can or they should, DFL isn't something I'm ashamed of, anymore, because I did it, I got out there and gave it a good effort and enjoyed every step of it, well maybe not the sand pit.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Nice race and write-up, Beth. You'll have to introduce me to Monica next time; I was wondering who my latest follower on Strava is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! You did meet her after Surftown... that was ages ago!

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes, now I remember - at the beer tent. It's tough getting old and forgetful. Who are you again?

      Delete
    3. Exactly, and I questioned if I should even say that, I didn't want to give Boumenot, the child, any ammo! Wait, what was I talking about?

      Delete