Sunday, November 16, 2014

LI'l Rhody Run Around - recap

2013 (official) 1:33:13 Recap
2014 (unofficial) 1:25

I've run many laps of Burlingame, only 13 of them have qualified as the Li'l Rhody Run Around segment on Strava.  If you don't start at the start and stop at the stop it doesn't register as a Strava segment, right?

The one I ran today was the best, a PR.  I'm pleased.  Oh how pleased!

Li'l Rhody Run Around - course results

Thank you, Johnny, I am seeing some improvement in my race times, although after a month of speed work, is that even possible?  I am also really focusing on my breathing, deeper and more yoga like.  When I fall back into my panting ways things seem harder, and focusing on conscious deep breathing, well it is helping!!  Then again every one ran faster this year.  The course conditions were perfection.  Either way I did better by over a minute per mile. Crazy!!  I'll chalk it up to being in better shape as well as perfect course conditions.

Dave joked that it was probably all the bridges by the covered bridge that sped me up.  Oh, stuff it in your ear.

The first half went well, I expected it would.  I got wrapped up in a couple packs of people and the only way to pass was to pass going up hill.  So I did. I picked off quite a few people.  I stopped at mile 4 water stop and let a few people I had picked off by me (4).  Fuel and water and I was set. The last 1/2 is usually where I fall apart.  My pace did slow however I slowly picked off those 4 people and a few more too boot over the next three miles.  I passed Way Headding for about 50 feet and he nearly tripped and fell because I was distracting him.  I let him pass with a 'oh go ahead of me you old pervert'.  I'm sure I'll pay for that crack at the fun run on Thursday night!!  Oooops... my filter is once again on the fritz!

The last mile, on the hard top road, I got picked off by three people and managed to pick one of them off.  Tee hee....

I felt great and tired, and legs of lead as I crossed the finish mat.  Looking at my watch, a PR!  Cool!  By how much I wasn't certain, probably close to 10 minutes?  8 Per the unofficial results, hoping for a few extra seconds with the official, but if this goes like it usually does I finished in something over 1:25.  Feh, I still finished in less than 90 minutes and that was one of my goals while I was training for the ultra.  Another goal was to run the whole course.  I damn near hit that this time around!!

It was an even better experience than last year, I knew so many more people and managed to stay hooked up with groups of people, pass on the up hills and one major pass on a downhill!  The joys of running on your home turf, right?



Jeff a MA trail runner managed to find me in the sea of orange -  probably the crazy hat, eh?

Sincerely,
Beth, who didn't leave it all out on the course, next year I will.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole!! Bethany and I were talking after and she was very glad she didn't convince you to try it!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it was a good day, better with the PR. I can't even think of how many laps I've done on that course. And how many more will follow!

      Delete
  3. Sweet! Great job out there, you did awesome and I didn't even have time to go back out on the course to run with you, and get the "don't push me" comments!!! And no goose this year at mile 7, just for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! You did awesome also!! I was looking for you!! I did notice that goose *shudder* hadn't been around the last few times I've run out there. Foul beast.

      Delete
  4. Sorry so late reading this ... great job Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim - and there will be a quiz later!

      Delete
  5. Speed work is magic! Great job on the huge PR. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, the second half is where most of us fall apart. I know I do. Nice job on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean I'm normal? Whoda thunk it?? Thanks!!

      Delete
  7. Great race, Beth! One minute per mile is no joke; that training is really paying off.

    ReplyDelete