Anyhow, this was a day of decision. I knew it was more of a fun run especially after fartlets with Jennifer on Friday and hills with Ro on Thursday. My legs felt like lead and responded the same way.
I started out ok, Bob B said "You were hanging with me and then you weren't. You looked like hell coming into the last turn." Thanks. I appreciate his honesty, I do. At least I didn't look good and feel like hell, that is a sucky combination, no pity for Beth....
Ok so this is billed as a 5 mile race and measures 4.75, which bodes well for the final results! LOL. It was cold and windy and the race gets a nice breeze off the Long Island Sound.
Anyhow, the course was a loop and pretty much flat and pretty things to look at, the water and the houses.
I felt good most of the first mile, my time showed. But really wasn't feeling it, oh well. Kind of what I suspected. I picked a runner ahead of me and watched their feet and focused on closing the gap and form and breathing. Might as well, right? I had my music, which pretty much means I'm not serious. I think someone was trying to talk to me, I'm probably now known as 'that snobby girl' in her race recap! WHOOPS.
Mile 2 Noticeably harder and slower. Yeah, this is going how I expected. Still the Thames River to the right and pretty houses on the left, really not so bad.
Mile 3 Noticing a bit of elevation gain, and then turned the corner on, huh, appears this road has no name. It does have a bit of a hill. I got picked off by three people. Grrr.... Once to the top (it wasn't really anything to write home about but damn it felt like I was climbing Mt. Washington).
Mile 4 I focused on picking off the people who passed me. Success! And I picked off a few others. Huh...
Mile 5 When the woman with the baby stroller passed me the wind went out of my sails... Ugh... I finished, happy to see the finish line with a time of 47:22 (official results not out), so a true 10 pace, a slow training/recovery run?
![]() |
| Chilly enough for a hat! |
There was beer, that always helps. Plus a pending drive down The Mohawk Trail in MA to get to North Adams for Sunday's fun!
All in all a good race in a great location! My performance, was as I expected.
Sincerely,
Beth, who should really consider raising her expectations!

No comments:
Post a Comment