Thursday, May 2, 2013

Shoes


In the Gym today I noticed another runner’s shoe with a date on it Feb 15th.  I asked the significance.  She said, she runs and changes shoes every four months.  It was easier to mark on the shoe the date and make a note in her calendar at the four month mark than to try and figure out why this or that is now hurting and last week it wasn't.  Her feet and legs like new shoes every four months.  OK.

I've been tracking the mileage on my shoes.  If you ask me what the mileage is on the shoes I'd have to figure it out.  Although my right shin is a little more achy than it used to be, so it is probably time to rotate in a new pair of shoes. I am a data junkie, I love to collect it, and then never manage to DO anything with it...

I keep two pairs of road shoes going.  The trail shoes I've sort of given up on.  I'm finding I like the feel of the trail through my road shoes.  Guess I will see what that does to my legs in the long run.

So it is probably time to rotate in a new pair of shoes, based on this shin thing.  Fortunately, I have four pair waiting in the wings.  They are all the same, and look the same.  Guess I'll be dating my shoes so at least I can tell them apart!

Tell me about your shoes:  One or more pairs going at a time?  Change them regularly?  Think this whole shoe thing is a marketing ploy? Different types of shoes?  Trail, road, racing?

Sincerely,
Beth, with shoes on the brain.

11 comments:

  1. Dating them? That's a great idea. Though I'll have to figure out when they would expire :)
    I try to have two pairs all the time. I keep one at work and one home. The same kind. I heal strike so I usually swap them out when the heals starts hitting the white part Or I notice that they are starting to cause me pain or more frequent bad runs.
    So by look and feel determines when I change them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One pair at a time for me. I use dailymile to track my miles and when I hit about 350 miles I switch. By that time I have aches and pains that also tell me that it is time to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I switched to road shoes on trails a while back. I'll wear trail shoes only if the conditions are extremely technical (rocks) or in bad weather. No effect on my legs, but without the extra protection of a trail shoe, I bang up my toes more with the road shoes. I usually have 3 pairs going at once, but I don't really track the mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4-5 pairs used here in relatively a constant rotation. One pair of racing flats (track work and short races), 2 pairs of regular road trainers. 1-2 pairs of dirty, muddy, lug/"cleats" trail shoes. It's fun to rotate and I DO keep track of mileage in my running log. But definitely not afriad to wear/use road shoes on most trails, most of the time (see Jonny's comment above).

    Running data is a drug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Data is a drug. How rocky is technical? I know my ankles turn a little bit more and I need to lace up my shoes tighter... but then again I'm not flying around the trails at warp speed.

      Delete
  5. I have one primary pair of road and one primary trail pair but I have a couple more minimal pairs that I'll play with as well. One of the reasons I like Strava is that you can designate a shoe for each run which makes it easy to keep track of the mileage on all my sneaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping track in the notes section on the Garmin, and guess what it isn't a select-able data field for a report. *curses*

      Delete
  6. I stick with one shoe once I've found something I like, and in spite of the fatal flaw in the design of the New Balance MT1010, I'm on my third pair. It doesn't kill the functionality of the shoe, just looks really bad, and I have pairs now to rotate in so it's cool. I also wear my trail shoes in road races, since I rarely run on roads anymore. I have road shoes, but I don't wear them as they're clunky, but NB is coming out with a 1010 road shoe, so I'm waiting for that. Love the discussion though, I never know if I'm doing the right thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fatal flaw in NB MT1010? What ever works for you IS the right thing!!

      Delete
  7. I can practically remember every pair of running shoes I've owned... since I received the 1st best piece of running advice I ever got at the 2004 Blessing of the Fleet race. At that time I was new to racing and solicited advice from fellow Pfizer Running Team members before the race start about how to cure plantar fasciitis. Tony Fossa said, "Get a good pair of shoes. It's the best thing you'll ever do. And try some orthotics." He was right. Used Asics for years, but been experimenting since 2006. These days I like New Balance lightweight road and trail shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "good pair of shoes" is excellent advice! I did get some orthotics and that little bit of security for my arch and PF help... I think it physically works but I wonder how much is mental? I love my Asics, I've tried a pair of Brooks, a little too stiff for my foot and the laces kept shifting the top tightened up and the toes got loose, really sucks to stop mid race and adjust shoes.

      Delete