Saturday, May 25, 2013

Delaney Dash 4 Miler - Recap

Hard really to know what to say about a 4 mile race.  It was out and back, pancake flat, with a loop.  The out and back part of the course was over a causeway, very pretty or very motivating, depending on the weather.


Chilly, cloudy, windy, and mizzly (really it IS a word, thanks Mladen) so absolutely didn't want to spend too much time on that causeway!!



9:33 pace for a total time of 38:14.  My splits were decent:  9:30, 9:55, 9:48, 8:58.  Happy with a negative split!

The other motivating factor was a runner dragging their left foot.  We were back and forth for the middle 2ish miles and finally he passed me and I wasn't catching up.  Everyone has their own running style and I'm sure I do something annoying.

I also ran sans tunes.  For some reason counting backwards from 1,000 seemed like a good idea, and actually it was.  I kept myself in a pretty good rhythm and wonder if I run slower to some songs than others.

Don waited for me at the finish line, he ran a 7:12 for total time of 28:47.  Yeah Don!!!  Hanging around for 10 minutes in the cold, what a friend, eh??  His bride opted to stay home as they had a busy afternoon with a wedding, smart woman!

Definitely a race to look for next year.  The flatness was nice, and on a different day, the causeway would also be lovely!  The cause is a great one, Sean Delaney Scholarship fund.  Also, cancer, which is something near and dear to my heart.  Sean Delaney had a 6 year battle with cancer, ending in May of 2000, he was only 42.

One of the things I liked about this race is it included a 1.6 mile causeway walk for the walkers and clear instructions for the walkers to stay on the sidewalk, this really is nice for those who want to race.  As far as I could tell from my middle of the pack view everyone respected the: "Please be considerate and save, keep walkers, dogs, and baby joggers off the 4-mile race course" on the application form.  This was requested because it is a very narrow race course.

Sincerely,
Beth, 1000, 999, 998, 997, 996...

2 comments:

  1. You did great!!!

    My race yesterday had a stick walkers left/runners right rule for the last mile. Everyone paid attention and it was nice!

    Love the work Mizzly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! So nice when everyone knows where they are supposed to be!! Your race was great too!!!

      Delete