Sunday, October 25, 2015

Gansett 1/2 - Recap

Narragansett is one of my favorite places to run, what could be better than a race in Narragansett...  yeah, I forget about how much I hate the Blessing of the Fleet and that is in Narragansett...

This was the second  year of the race, I can't remember why I missed the first year, there must have been something going on.

In the beginning of the year I had big plans, sub 2 1/2 for 2015.  Didn't happen, wasn't even on my radar for this race.  I didn't put in the work to meet that goal.  

A goal:  2:11  I KNOW this was really unrealistic - 2:10 is my PR
B goal:  2:20  Kinda figured I could hold it together ending up with a 10:41 pace, HA HA!!
C goal:  don't die, OK honestly, considering my track record this year, Finish!!

The weather was iffy, I donned on my WTAC long sleeve shirt, figuring that would help protect from the cold rain and the usual wind on Ocean Road.  It did.  Good call.  I can hike up the sleeves and they stayed that way most of the 13.1

The course is on familiar roads, there are two out and backs, not my favorite thing to run.  The runners passing on my right then on my left make me dizzy.  I tried very hard to pay attention to the pack I was running with.

I started with the 2:15 pace group, and wanted to stay between 10 - 10:30 pace.  On Rte 108, a down hill, I got in front of the pack.   I played the pros and cons of this move as I ran along.  I really felt great and comfortable.  I regretted this move as I ran all on my own, into the wind on Ocean Road and the 2:15 pace group passed me.  I couldn't muster up anything to stick with them and watched Dave Haskett saunter along with about 10 people in tow  Would have staying with them helped?  Yes.  I felt good and love that slight down hill on 108 and wasn't thinking ahead to Ocean Road out to Pt Judith Lighthouse and the wind I would have to fight, I cursed myself.  



On the Pt Judith out and back I saw Patti, Angie, and Emily.  At mile 13 Patti passed me asking if I ran a 1/2 yesterday.  Ha!  No!  I just couldn't hold my desired pace.  I even walked in mile 13 and some guy says "Finish Strong!"  All I could do was smile and say, "yeah yeah, thanks".

This was a great race, despite the out and backs.  It was well run and supported.  I really have no desire to compete and feel really uncomfortable when people cheer me on probably thinking this is my first 1/2 or something like that.  How many have I done?  I have no clue, guess I'll take a stroll on over to Athlinks and do a count?  Oh 11, not including the one I got lost and the other one that actually measured 12.5 miles.   So this was #12 of the true 13.1 distance.  Not my worst, not my best, kinda average: 2:25. 

My favorite 1/2 will always be my second.  I was so unprepared for my first, finishing at a 3:20 not having trained or even run anything longer than a 5K road race!  I seriously trained and came back the next year, same course, with a respectable 2:17, and a few months later I finished my first full marathon, hooked on running.

So why the trip down memory lane there Beth?  I had 2 hours and 25 minutes to think about running and racing and competing.  Saying I'm not competitive is an outright lie.  I am, I always have been and I always will be.   I have the winter to build a base, regroup, and plan for next year.  

Sincerely,
Beth, still hooked on running, not frustrated or disappointed, happier running with friends than running in races

No comments:

Post a Comment