Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 in the Rear View Mirror

I landed on some goals the first week in January - Weigh Training / Speed Work / Over Committing.   I've reviewed where I landed, considered the fact the company I work for no longer gives performance rankings they were as such:

5 - Consistently Exceeds Expectations
4 - Frequently Exceeds Expectations
3 - Meets Expectations
2 - Occasionally Fails to Meet Expectations
1 - Consistently Fails to  Meet Expectations

and decided I'm not going to subject myself so such numerical torture and really I hesitate to subject you to my navel gazing.

I am happy with my year.  I am far happier with 2014 than I was with 2013, it took me till nearly June to fully recover from 2013 and enjoy running again.  I'm thrilled with biking and happy to have that as a fun way to explore and occasionally commute to work.

2014 Stats

What I will celebrate in 2015:

Running - sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon, my goal race is Ocean's Run, in March.  This means a pace of 8:46 (1:55 1/2 Marathon).  I have been working on speed for the last few months and have added in hill work.  This will all help.  What I have to do is sit down and figure out what paces I need to train at to achieve this 8:46 race pace.   This goal won't just happen on it's own.  I don't even consistently run at a 9:30 pace in training runs, how on earth can I hold 8:46 for 13.1 miles....  I have a week or so to figure that out and put goal paces to the runs on my plan.

According to Runner's Ally, my target times:

"Easy" runs 10:10 
"Tempo" runs 8:29 
"Maximum-oxygen" (AKA interval) runs 7:39
"Long" runs 10:10 -  11:27
"Yasso 800's" 3:35min/880

What happens if I don't hit it in March?  Well there are 9  more months and no pitty parties!

I don't have any other race distance/time goals.  Perhaps I'll try another 50K, one never knows. 

Biking -  1 or 2 centuries and the Pan Mass Challenge

So there you go, 2014 is slowly fading away and 2015 is coming into view.

Sincerely,
Beth, looking forwards to 2015 and backwards to 2014 with happiness!


8 comments:

  1. Beth,
    You can definitely hit your goal at Oceans 1/2. You're going about it the right way. Stick to consistent numbers and you can do it. Never underestimate focused training and race day adrenaline!
    Cheers to 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2015! Muddy's right, you're pretty good about sticking with your plan, and I have no doubt about your ability to run a sub-2. Hell, maybe I can pace you! Two hours of hearing you curse my name might be fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crutch! I'm not sure (at the present moment) I can manage to bitch (much) at that pace, so it might actually be a pleasant quite run with me!??!!? LOL!!

      Delete
    2. trust me - you can bitch :)

      Delete
    3. Mikey B - sounds like a challenge to see who can keep me from bitching!! PHTTTTT

      Delete
  3. No doubt! You will hit your goal. You are smart and know what needs to be done to make it happen. I am pretty sure I will be there but behind you.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm scared, and I will do my best to make it happen!

      Delete