Monday, December 24, 2012

The world didn't end, huh....


Friday I committed to an End of the World Run, 12.21K, anywhere, anytime, any place.  I like those because you do have to commit and honor the commitment. It had been raining like hell for days, so what a better time to hit the long trail at my most favorite place on earth!?!?!  Friday was the last work day for the year for MOST people, being stingy with vacation time I am not wasting a vacation day for 12/31 and will go in.  It was just me and Gdogg in the office, both of us dragging in with the same excuse "the alarm went off at 6:30 and I thought there is no way it is 6:30 it is still dark"  a dark raining day, perfect way to start off the end of the world, right?

Around noon, the sun started peeking through, by 1:30 it was looking wonderful, I skipped out of work in my running gear and was on the trail by 2:10.  I noted the entrance was flooded, high tide and all the rain, and the lower parking lot was flooded, and I KNOW this means the lower trail will be flooded...

Huh, are those whitecaps?
So what do I do? Yes, I take off on the lower trail.  It is cold and windy and the sun has started to disappear.  When I get to the flooded part I debate, 7 miles with wet shoes or no?  I turn around. And take the trail backwards figuring I'll do an extra loop in Haley Farm to make up the miles, to reach 12.21K  It was a lovely run, a few nice muddy spots and rather enjoyable.  Then I figured the tide must have receded and I could go left and not right once I was back on the main trail.   Then I did a quick calculation and knew I needed another 1/2 mile to get to 7.6 mile to be at 12.21K...  I thought, well I'll just do a loop around the parking lot to make up the lost miles from the flood.  My brain decided that I'd do a little out and back on the main trail and then finish up at the trail head...  I think, well was I thinking?, I think, I was avoiding the inevitable flooded area.  It was still flooded, I plowed through, water up to my knees halted the running and I was more wading.  The women standing on the other side of the flooded part debating to walk across or not decided that I was 1) crazy and 2) their boots weren't tall enough to wade across.  We all laughed as I emerged from the water.  They asked "Isn't that cold?"  I replied that yes, yes it was, but it felt good.  The sad part about this is, all the wonderful mud I collected on my shoes and legs was now gone... poop...

Route...

I squished my way back to the trail head and clicked off the Garmin at 7.63 miles (7.58 is 12.21K).  Rummaged around in my gear bag to find some dry warm socks and drove home, satisfied, and a little chilled to the bone.

Friday night was a Secret Yoga session at a beautiful building down town.  It was a bank, and just has such a wonderful vibe inside, and a beautiful cupola letting in the moonlight.  We all placed our mats in a circle around a bowl of lit crystals and did our yoga practice.  It was 90 minutes and team taught, I'd never been to a team taught practice.  I hadn't met any of these Yogis before and the leader welcomed me and asked how I found out about Secret Yoga.  I said "I received an eMail."  Technology a wonderful thing, isn't it?  Keeps us close to the ones we love and allows us to meet new people along the way, people we may have never met before.  It is also not such a good thing for keeping secrets, eh?


I left practice feeling centered and ready for a new beginning, if, in fact, the world did not end on the 21st of December 2012.

Waking up Saturday morning, I was, yes, alive on the 22nd, the day after the world was to end, unfortunately not quite feeling my perky jump out of bed and greet the world self...  damn...   Hubb and I had a trip into Manhattan planned and I wasn't going to miss it!  I pulled myself together and we went on our adventure. By Saturday night it was blatantly obvious I was under the weather, welcome to my bones, chest, and neck some sort of ick and ache with a side of laryngitis, whoopiee twang...

A day of rest on Sunday and I'm feeling better, still with the laryngitis.   I want to run, I also want to get better.  I haven't been sick in a long time and what ever ickies befall me tend to land in my throat and chest, which is pretty critical for running...  I'm erring on the side of caution. I put in some miles tomorrow a.m. I have a Santa hat, just perfect for the season!  Ding dong here has a marathon in less than a month and needs to be healthy AND trained....

Sincerely,
Beth with 7 more running days and 2 races left in 2012!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment