Friday, September 20, 2013

Liebster Award

Today I was nominated to receive the Liebster Blogging Award by Missy at Missyspublicjunk, I've seen this around the blogosphere and not really sure what it was so what does one do?  They read the nominators blog post and the blogs nominated then the blog post of the person that nominated them and the blogs they nominated and so on and you tell two friends and they tell two friends.  I was going to write about what I've been up to here in Dallas.  I spent the afternoon at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center listening to Lung Cancer researchers talk about their research.   My thought was to enlighten you on my learning about DNA reproduction via the miraculous PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) process discovered by the very wacky LSD indulging Biochemist PhD Kary Mullis, who after wining the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, gave it all up (except the LSD) to pursue a surfing career.  (Some of the "facts" maybe slightly misrepresented)  And other equally notable and impressive progress in the research on finding a cure for and early detection of Lung Cancer.  Another day, perhaps?
Ok so this Liebster Award, it is given to undiscovered blogs, giving them the opportunity to be recognized and discovered!  How cool is that?  I really love why Missy nominated me. Someday's that is my favorite part of writing the blog.

I've been following Missy's running and writing career.  I was there cheering her on through her training runs and her races.  Her style is great, she loves quotes, and finds just the right ones to go with her blog post which can range from running to relationships to acting.  The diversity is great, I never know what I am going to see!
The requirements for the award:

  1. Link back to the author who nominated you.  (done)
  2. Answer the questions presented by the author who nominated you.  (done)
  3. Nominate up to ten other authors for the award. (done, with hesitation, I'm not always big on attention and never know how other people will react to it)
  4. Ask ten questions of those you nominate. (done)
The Nominees are:
  1. Running While Mommy - Witnessing and encouraging Nicole as she blooms into a distance runner has been a joy!
  2. Muddy's Miles - An entertaining recap of the miles he runs during the week and the trials and tribulations of the trail and other stuff.  And seriously check out my blogroll, I'd of put them all up here but really not sure if that would go over like a fart in a space suit or what...    
  3. Wanderlust - I just started following Debra on her journey to 26.2 and have been enjoying her honesty.
  4. Ransack the Rack - Fashion blog by a very pragmatic and practical woman, also a little sarcastic.
Missy's Questions:
  1. How old were you when you first realized that you were a writer?   I guess I never really thought of my self as a writer until a friend introduced me to NANO in 2010, I was 43.  The first foray in to writing a novel in a month was well, challenging, and oh so very rewarding!  It was at a time in my life when I was in a lay off wave and really trying to figure out what I was going to do about a job and try and do the best I could with the job I had.  That gave me a creative release to tell a story and escape my reality. Trying to figure out what the topic will be for 2013!
  2. If you had to choose one person in your life who was your biggest inspiration - good or bad - who would that person be?  On the good side I really need to say all the women in my family.  I come from a long line of tough and strong women, on my maternal and my paternal side.  I think in particular I will pick my great-grandmother Lizzie.  Oh mom, don't roll your eyes, you know we were both named for her because she didn't take any crap from anyone and was strong woman.   I only know Lizzie from the stories I've heard from her grandchildren, what I was able to gleen from the wife of a 2nd cousin, and the stories I've dug up in the newspaper.  In current times no one would think twice about the decisions she made - divorcing and raising her sons on her own, beating up a mugger, or even trying to drive over an opening draw bridge because she was in a hurry.   
  3. What do you consider your biggest vice?  Eating sweets, I'd love to have a nice rich sweet chocolate creamy dessert with every meal, but I don't want an ass the size of Texas as a result, been there done that, not going back, TYVM.
  4. Your biggest virtue?  Being dependable.  I'll never forget seeing my Aunt Sally at my Uncle Bob's funeral.  I drove out from RI to OH for it.  Sally just said, through her tear stained face "Old dependable Beth.  Thank you for being here."  Oh crap now I'm getting all misty.  
  5. What do you consider to be your biggest passion (non-human passion, that is.  If you're a parent, the standard answer is your children, I get it.  But I mean, what is your biggest passion)? My biggest passion, I really think I have two running and Lung Cancer advocacy.  The two do dovetail together as I run both for fun and to raise money for Lung Cancer research and resources.  Cancer has been in my life since I was 4, it has just always been there.  Running came later in life, my Jr year of HS I joined the track team, and promptly fractured my foot during our first meet, ending what may have been a brilliant sprinting career, ha!
  6. What's your favorite quote? And why?  This is a tough one, I like so many for so many different reasons.  I'll pick:  "Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head; and this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in every thing." -- Duke Senior, As You Like It Act 2, scene 1, 12–17 , William Shakespeare  I like this because Caroline Ingalls used to say it and if I could have grown up to be Laura Ingalls Wilder I'd of been a happy girl.  As I grew up and began to appreciate Shakespeare I really like this sentiment, we have to embrace what we don't favor and learn to find the good in it.  Shakespeare can be left a bit up to interpretation though...
  7. What's your favorite book? And why? Little House on in the Big Woods, this was the first book I remember getting for my library.  I read it and re-read it through my childhood and in my adulthood.  The series was a gift from my favorite Aunt and it is something I will treasure for ever.  The stories, while I realize a work of fiction and romanticized Laura's life, were really a joy to me from the first time I read it till the millionth time I read it.
  8. What's your fondest childhood memory? Hmm... this is a tough one, I'm one that remembers trauma before all else.  My memories of the two weeks of the summer I used to spend with my paternal grandparents.  Scouting the Rocky River for crayfish shells, feeding the carp at Pymatuning lake, fried baloney sandwiches, and chocolate milk made by shaking Nestle Quick with milk in a jar.  
  9. Have you ever been published?  Do you want to be?  I have been.  In 2000, I wrote an article on "Outsourcing Analytic Testing" For American Pharmaceutical magazine (I have a copy in my files, I think that was the name of the publication)  I managed to escape having to actually present my article at a conference!!   PSHEW!!!  I'll pass on being published if it is technical writing and if I am under threat to present!
  10. How often do you write?  Do you wish you had time to write more, or do you feel like you spend too much time writing as it is?  I write at least 5 times a week, some blog entries get published, others do not, some times I get the bug to write a story and will spend sometime getting my thoughts on paper, or rather on the computer because my handwriting is atrocious, even worse than a doctors!  Sometimes I'd like to write more and most times I'd like to spend more time editing, but then I'd can pencil f*ck something to death and it is no longer in my "authentic voice".
My Questions:
  1. If you could be any vegetable what would you be and why?
  2. Who is your hero or heroine and why?
  3. What is your favorite quote and why?
  4. What is the best piece of advice you have ever gotten and why?
  5. Why did you start your blog?
  6. What memory makes you smile and why?
  7. If you could meet anyone living or dead who would it be and why?
  8. Where's Waldo?
  9. If you could be, and stay, any age what would it be and why?
  10. If you had three wishes what would they be and why?


Sincerely, 
Beth who is thrilled to be nominated and terrified of nominating bloggers.  I really need to call my therapist...

6 comments:

  1. Kudos on the nomination! Remind me to snag an autograph before you get too famous ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha hardly! I'll amend and nominate you too!!

      Delete
  2. Yay! :) And thank you for the sweet words about my blog. Isn't this fun? (Sort of...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Going to take me a day or two to find someone else good answers and put them here. No just kidding but you pick some really good questions that will make me think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! And I googled around for questions, the first one is one of my favorite questions when I'm out of stuff when I interview people. I've gotten some interesting answers, it is fun and while it catches someone on their backfoot a little it makes them smile and not be nervous!

      Delete