Thursday, January 31, 2013

Runner's Tag

SO I didn't actually get tagged...   I did think this was super cool and I am lacking in things to say.  We unexpectedly lost our 10 year old Boxer girl on the 30th.  And I really didn't feel like writing about my last run, other than 34F felt balmy!!

SO here goes.  The questions and my answers.  Feel free to use this, I thought it was interesting and have enjoyed reading the answers to the questions from other runners!!

http://www.tips4running.com/runners-tag.html 
1. How long have you been running?

 
I've been running consistently since summer of 2011.  I started running in January 2010 with the C25K program and ran my first 5K in April  2010 with a time of 37:44, not too shabby  for starting out too fast and walking!!   After that I tackled a 3.6 mile trail run for a time of 48:19….   I started running in HS track, decades ago... but didn't stick with it.
 
2. Why did you start running?

 
I started running because walking on the treadmill got boring and I wasn't seeing much in terms of results in loosing the bulk I gained in my late 30's early 40's.  Ultimately vanity wins for many of us.

After running no more than a couple miles at a clip I decided, prompted by an eMail from my father to sign up for a ½ marathon running with the Lung Cancer Alliances, Team Lung Love, in May of 2011.  I figured I would walk and run and could make it the full way, no problem.  My mother was diagnosed with Lung Cancer in August 2007 and this would be to raise funds and awareness.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into or how much this would change my life.

3. What is the furthest distance you have ever ran?

I have run 26.2, twice.  I’m frothing at the mouth to try a 50K…

4. What is your best running memory?

Crossing the finish line of the first ½ I ran.  I crossed wearing the Team Lung Love jersey and holding hands with a fellow Team Lung Lover.  I did it.  I actually freaking did it.  I could call myself a runner now!!!

5. What shoes do you run in?


Asics Kayano’s  I want to try some minimalist shoes. But after running a marathon in Brooks Trance which were just a skitch stiffer than the Kayanos and fouling up my IT band for a month I’m a little scared.

6. What are your favorite and least favorite distances to run or race?


I hate 5Ks, they are painful… I need to work on my speed and they are the best competitive way for me to do this.  My PR is 27:27 for a 5K. 

I love marathons.  I know I only have two under my belt.  Honestly anything over 10 miles is a lovely distance for me.  I get in a grove and feel very accomplished.
 
7. Do you have a running partner?
 
I don’t.  I do have some virtual running buddies. 
 
8. What is your favorite place to run?
 
 
Trails.  There is one near where I work and a wonderful place to stop on my way home on Fridays.  There are a few near my home that I frequent on the weekends.  I love being outside and being in the woods and just the challenge of the hills and paying attention to where my  feet are going.  Sure I fall, that is all part of the experience. 
 
9. What is your favorite running accessory?

 
I love my iPod shuffle.  I know I know it is dangerous to run with music.  I put in only one ear piece on the trails and if I’m nervous.  The music just takes me away, either to think about the person that recommended the song, or the first time I ever heard the song or the first time I heard the song running. 
 
10. Do you like outdoor or indoor running?

 
Outdoor Running!!!  I've run on the treadmill when I first started and only a few times when the weather was horrible.  Now I’ll just run out no matter the climate. 
 
11. What is your favorite time of the day to run?

 
I love running mid morning.  My day has started and I get my tasks organized and take off about 10:30 and when I’m done, grab lunch head  back to my desk and get productive.  Most of the folks I work with don’t get into the office until after 10 and aren’t productive till after 11 so the a.m. gives me time to deal with their after normal working hours missives and set myself up for my day.
 
I also love running late in the afternoon in the fall, just when the weather has warmed up for the day and the smells of fall are so rich and plentiful. 
 
12. What races have you ran?
 
 
5K, 3.6M, 4M, 5M, 10K, 7.4M, 10M, 15K, ½ Marathon, Marathon.
 
13. What music do you listen to when running?

 
Pop.  As my friends say bad pop.  There are a couple bluegrass songs, some old rock n’ roll.  I’d call it eclectic.
 
14. What is the hottest or coldest weather you have ever ran in?

 
Hottest would be in the high 99F with 100% humidity.  That was miserable.  It was a race and it was miserable.  Coldest probably 4F.
 
15. What are some other exercises you love?
 
Yoga and TRX
 
16. Are you currently training for something?

 
Not really.  I am focusing on form and then on speed.  I’ll be running Marine Corps in October and will officially start training for that in a few months. 
 
17. What are your current or future goals?

 
5K sub 27
10K sub 60
½ Marathon sub 2 hours
Marathon sub 5 hours

I need to set some more solid goals. 
 
18. Advice for new runners
?
 
Goals! Goals! Goals!  Don’t skip running, your body needs it.  Don’t over train, your body doesn't need it.  You will find YOUR happy place.
 
20.  Who will you tag?
 
I choose Melissa!

Sincerely, Beth thankful to have something else to think about!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment