Sunday, April 21, 2013

Long Run on the Trails!

Today was the day I was going to get a minimum of a 10 mile in on the trails and not get lost.  I got in 12.13 and got a little lost and *gasp* backtracked.  I also tried out my new hydration backpack (the one I have is gray).

E-Lite Vest - Hydrapack
I can't remember what site I actually picked it up from and it was in a discontinued bin and wicked cheap.  Thing is most stuff these days doesn't come with instructions, and sometimes it isn't all that intuitive.  I got the 1 liter reservoir filled and the hose thing attached and inserted where it belongs.  That was all good.  I put on the vest and the straps were all weird and across my, ahem, lady parts and I thought, that is going to be uncomfortable.  I checked on the site to see if there were any pictures of these things in action and that helped me understand about the magnet and how to feed the hose but these straps had me stumped.  Hubb took one look at it and yanked up the adjusters on the front straps and yanked down the adjusters on the side straps and said, "That may work better."  I had no idea the anchor points to the vest were actually slide-able! Had he not helped me with my quandary, well it may not have been a fun run.  Guess it was a good thing I divulged the location of the Tramadol.  BTW his ankle is fine, it wasn't sprained he strained the muscle on the bottom of his foot.  Yeah, not sure how that is possible either, but there you have it.

The 1 L of water was absolutely the right amount for my run today, the temps about 40, and windy.  Little cold to start out thankful I had on two long sleeved tech shirts. My lovely Hunters Orange, because I thought it was either 500 (hat and vest - shotgun season) or  200 (hat - pretty much everything else) square inches of Hunters Orange season.  Not fearing color and not wanting to disobey the rules of the woods, I had on plenty of orange even with what was covered up by my hydration pack.   I did seem to be the only person on the trail wearing orange.   Safety first!


Even the dogs have their own Hunters Orange Vests!

It was a lovely run, and part of it was part of the course in the 4th race, Brrrrr-lingame Snow Sufferfest, in the South County 4th Season Race Series.  Wayyyy different now with no snow on the ground but somethings seemed familiar so I didn't get all turned around.

Same place, slightly different angle...  close enough, eh?

Looks like I managed to follow the routes I wanted!  The Orange, Red, Blue, back to the Orange, Green, and back on the Orange!


I did have a little incident along the course, yeah.... happens, doesn't it...




Sincerely,
Beth, with tired legs after an enjoyable 12.13 trail miles in 2:39

6 comments:

  1. gonna have to hit the trails here pretty soon. pretty stoked about coming around a corner and running into a rattlesnake, but it hasn't happened yet in 3+ years, so i'll have to keep trying. Keep writing Beth, always enjoy your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod! Good luck on that rattlesnake? Glad you enjoy my stories! B

      Delete
  2. Solid run, Beth! Love those trails :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome trails! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. That's a great loop! I was also out there yesterday, mostly on the single track around campground. Good job staying on course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnny! Slowly getting my bearings!

      Delete