Sunday, April 14, 2013

"Not all those who wander are lost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." --  Robert Frost

I couldn't say if the trail was any more or less traveled than other trails.  I saw the staggered blue rectangles, the one on top a little to the left, and went straight.  Yeah, yeah, those of you who KNOW about trail marking would have known.  I thought someone was just touching up the trail markers!


My goal was to run what is called "Sanctuary Outer Trail" (the red one on the trail map) and dumps into the Vin Gormley/Yellow Dot trail (orange on the trail map) in Burlingame.  The Sanctuary Outer Trail also follows the Blue Dot North South Trail hence me following blue markers. Should be about 3 miles added to the 7 miles of the Vin Gormley, a respectable run in the woods I really really really needed.  Just call me grouchy!

It went a little sideways when I realized I had run into the camp ground.  I ran around in the camp ground trying to get my bearings.  Someone on a Sunday drive through the campground stopped to ask me for directions.  HA!  I said, I really wasn't sure, go that way and find the hard top road.  Walking dogs and running around town I'm used to people stopping me to ask for directions.  I'm far more OK with it when I am walking.  Stopping a runner to ask directions, that is just mean.  And when you stop me, expect girl directions, I find and remember things by land marks.

Hubb Monday morning quarterbacked the GPS read out and suggested I try back tracking the next time I get lost? Or perhaps try a left hand turn as the blazes pointed out?  In our relationship, he is the one that stops for directions, I'm the one who will drive around in circles, turning right the entire time.

Left - Trail map    Right - GPS readout

I got in 6 miles of the 10 I started out for.  I simply got frustrated, eventually finding the camp store, and ran in a circle debating if I wanted to just run the VG or give up.  I gave up and went back to the pond parking lot quite a lot happier than when I left and in no pain.  First run in many months where I didn't end with some nagging ache in my hip, knee, or heel.  Huh...

Hubb on the other hand is hogging all the ice writhing on the couch with a sprained ankle wondering if we have any Tramadol in the house.  He had a group ride on the North South trail from Burlingame to Arcadia, and apparently there was a little tumble, I'm sure the story will come out at some point?

Meanwhile how does one plug courses into the Garmin 410 Forerunner from another GPS map?  Is that even possible?  Would that even help this direction challenged runner?  It sure would take a lot of fun out of my runs!

Sincerely,
Beth, surprisingly not needing ice post run, and trying to remember where she stashed the Tramadol

No comments:

Post a Comment