Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Goals


"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."  --  Henry Ford

Before I left Michigan and the automotive industry I was 3rd generation Ford Motor Company.  I am sure it broke my father's heart when I left and my grandfather (today would have been his 96th birthday Happy Birthday,  RIP Grandpa) probably turned in his grave when I left.  I know many thought I had lost my mind to not only abandon FoMoCo but the state of MI in 1999.  It proved to be the right decision for the then boyfriend (now Hubb) and I to relocate to New England.  I am sure many thought I had lost complete leave of my usually sound senses.  My goal, continually reinforced by my father, was for me to never have to rely on anyone, that move got me to that goal.  I often wonder if my father realizes how much that statement "Beth, all I want for you is to never have to rely on anyone, ever." meant to me and did for me.

Me and my Daddy!  Of course I"m pretending to NOT pay attention!!!

Me and my Grandpa!!


Last week my boss and her boss and I sat down to deliver my 2012 performance review and approve my 2013 goals.  It was a great meeting.  Seriously who wouldn't want to sit and stare at a Donnie Wahlberg look alike telling you how wonderful you are and how much your boss appreciates you for 30 minutes?  OK so some of you might not find this as appealing as I do...  



The end of the first quarter of 2013 has gone whizzing past and it is time to see how I am tracking towards the 4 goals I set, Chapter 2013 Page 1 Goals.   Years (21) of corporate America coupled with my own neurotic tendencies (and of course the influence daddy has on a girls life) have taught me to make SMART goals.  In case you haven't been blessed with having to make SMART goals as part of yearly objectives I'll give you a little recap.

Goals should be:
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Results oriented
Time bound

Running - 1,500 miles, 1 race per month, 2 marathons, one with the Lung Cancer Alliances’ Team Lung Love, 6 1/2 marathons.  
1Q13 status: On Track, need to adjust to time goals not race # goals. (Exceeds expectations)
Mileage: 227 miles for 1Q, linearly I am tracking for 908.  Reviewing last year, I was at 161 miles 1Q12 and finished the year at 1031, so totally doable
Races:
January - AZ RnR Marathon, 3 - 5Ks, and I missed one race I signed up for 
February - 1/2 (Colchester Tough As Nails) 1 - 10K
March - 1/2 (Ocean's Run, and I can't count Big River, as I only ran 7 miles), 3 - 5K and 1 - 5 Miler

Reading - 115 books.
1Q13 status: Recoverable, realize that I am reading longer books! (Meets to a little below expectations)
17 books for 1Q, linearly tracking at 68.  Reviewing 1Q12 I was at 46 with about 10 very short books.

Knitting -  10 pair of socks. 
1Q13 Status:  Need to revisit. (Below expectations; need to reevaluate)
I have still not finished the socks I started November of last year! However I have completed 5 baby sweaters and 2 ear flap hats for Hubb.  I need revisit what I am actually knitting.  Perhaps finishing the current socks and two pair of the Hatteras yarn BFF SL sent going on a year ago and another 3 - 5 baby sweaters (so I can get ahead of this baby boom!)  The ultimate goal of this goal was to spend 5 - 10 hours a week knitting...

Diet -  Weigh, measure, and track food consumption a minimum of 4 days a week. 
1Q13 Status: Lacking real effort (Does not meet expectations)
I weigh and measure a couple times a week as for tracking, HA right... not happening.  I am OK with this.  I put on a few pounds post MCM, however have not resumed my horrific eating habits.  OK, so, Hubb and I sharing two Crumbs cupcakes once a week isn't exactly healthful, but it is fun and something we enjoy doing together. We are sacrificing healthful eating for the sake of keeping our marriage strong and healthy, and what couple can't use a little relationship strengthening/bonding?  (anyone buying that?)

I do believe I need some adjustment to my Running goals, in my head I've set out to obtain certain PRs and have done nothing about training for those PRs, and that stuff doesn't happen by magic.  Don't we wish it did?!?!?!?  My focus for this quarter will be on putting together a training plan for speed inclusive of  MCM finish goal of sub 5, dare we say 4:00, could it be possible at this late date to get a BQ and the other races along the way.  Truly this is the one goal that means the most to me. To be able to truly feel like an athlete. The others are to remember that there are other passions in my life I should not sacrifice or slight for the one that gives me the most joy.

Sincerely
Beth, focused and fearless

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I have never met your Dad, but I did know your grandfather. I KNOW he would have been proud. We visited him not too long after your grandmother died…he was totally devastated at losing her that he died shortly thereafter. Sara and Charlie were so kind and played an important part in our lives. Someday, hopefully, I can relate that story to you in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grandparent's V were wonderful people. I am always sad to have known them for such a short period of time. He truly died of a broken heart, what a strong love and connection they had. I can see it in the pictures and movies of them, when Grandpa was forced to be in front of the camera instead of behind it! Look forward to hearing your stories!

      Delete