Sunday, June 16, 2013

Friends

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.
―Ana├»s Nin

Thursday I had lunch with an old friend, someone I've only only known two years, yet know deeply, inside and out, hence 'old friend'.  Our conversation revolves around whats going on at home, at work, a myriad of what ifs, I think we've only discussed current events once or twice, odd isn't it? Never the weather, always something of substance to one or the other or both of us. Each taking turns to bounce ideas and thoughts off the other, I always leave those conversations with more thoughts roiling around in my brain and sometimes a different direction or perspective.  Wonderful mental stimulation.

Saturday I had coffee with a new friend, someone who will quickly fall into that old friend category.  We share a connection over Lung Cancer.  Her mother passed away 6 weeks after diagnosis with stage 4 lung cancer, at age 57, she turned 30 the day her mother died.  Hell of a birthday present.  Being able to quickly get into such a serious discussion is normal to me.  It wasn't until after an hour of discussing lung cancer,  cancer advocacy, and cancer in general that we got to the general information, and only briefly.  There will be time for all of those details as we conspire together to bring more attention to the ugliness that is Lung Cancer.

I've met so many different people in so many different ways, each bringing something new into my life.  They may enter like a freight train  and stay for a very short time, making a lasting impact and always being in my heart.  They may stumble into my life through work and stay forever.  They may slowly creep in until I can't remember them not being there.

Sincerely,
Beth, grateful for all my friends and friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment