Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cancer

Tonight I went to the luminaria display at Relay for Life at Connecticut College.


I had no clue what to expect.


A girlfriend and her 11 year old son, a cancer survivor, are walking in a Relay for Life in Monroe MI.


As I walked around the loop, looking at all the luminaria I imagined Linda her sons: Matthew (diagnosed with liver cancer at 3 months old) and Raymond, and her brother making laps around the luminaria display happening at the same time in Monroe.  


I wonder if they too heard the names being read with a bagpiper playing Amazing Grace in the background.



Yes, yes bagpipes CAN be background music.  I often wonder what ever became of the man who played his bagpipes at Misquamicut beach on Saturday mornings.  Their sound combine with the sound of the ocean made my weekly long walk with Lola the bananas boxer somewhat calming.


And I digress.



There were so many luminaria, so many names.


I am always perplexed when I meet someone whose life is void of cancer.  Really?  That's possible.  Then again I was also surprised that no other families left a shot and a beer for Santa Claus.  It has been in my life since I was 4.


Sometimes I am jealous, they don't know the pain, the worries, the angst.  Sometimes I am sad they don't know that feeling of victory and relief when a scan comes back clear or no change.


I managed to only shed a few tears tonight.  Thinking of how far cancer research has come since 1972 and thinking how far it hasn't come for so many cancers.


Tears won't cure cancer.  Tears won't bring awareness.  Tears won't increase research.  Action will.


Action in the form of raising awareness through races and walks.  Action in the form of lobbying congress to pass bills such as the Recalcitrant Cancer Research Act.  Action in the form of raising funds to support awareness and research.


Sincerely,
Beth, running with the Lung Cancer Alliance's Team Lung Love, raising funds and awareness to bring assistance and hope to the people diagnosed with Lung Cancer.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, this is a beautiful post. I am sure it was a very emotional, yet beautiful experience. Nice that you were able to be part of it.

    Oh and a shot and a beer for Santa, priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just sat in the car and started typing my thoughts and then assembled them when I got home. It was really moving. And the shot and the beer go back a couple generations. I was in my 30's before I realized someone would think it was odd... ;) Na zdrowie!

      Delete