Friday, September 28, 2012

Magic 8 Ball Says "Signs Point to Yes"

The Friday night Yoga class is advertised as detox yoga.  I desperately needed to detox this week.  The combination of blowing off some steam by acting like an irresponsible 20 something at a bar and yoga, may have brought me to homeostasis.  Good grief, between work craziness and training for my first marathon it is no wonder I haven't been sleeping. I haven't had a full nights sleep in I can't remember how many weeks. It can't possibly be normal to not sleep like a rock after a 20 mile run, I didn't.  2 a.m. is wicked mistress, she is desperate to get between me and my pillow and seems to be succeeding in her quest.

So I ask myself, "Self what is going on?"  Of course, when presented with any serious questions in life who or what does one consult?  Why, the Magic 8 Ball, of course!

I shake the ball and ask:  Could it be over training? "Don't count on it".
I shake the ball and try:  Could it be caffeine"? "Reply hazy, try again".
I shake the ball and plead: Could it be stress?, "Better not tell you now".
I shake the ball thinking I may be on to something: Could it be I be in a rut? "Signs point to yes".

So yeah, a rut.  Same thing week in and week out.  While the OCD in me LOVES being on a schedule, loves the predictability of knowing what is going to happen next, the, other, would it be ADD me or just plain wahooo lets open door #3 and see what happens side gets bored.  Bored bored bored and wants a surprise, a new adventure, something unexpected every now again.  The par for the course getting shaken up is wicked fun!  Desire for both stability and surprises don't have to be mutually exclusive, do they?   I crave a bit of both. 

In Yoga tonight Heidi started differently. Hmmm...  I thought, has she had a 3rd cup of cappuccino, if so we could be in for a wild ride, giddy up!  Usually we do three OMs in a seated position and start our practice in Chakravakasana (Cat - Cow stretches).  This time we started practice in Balasana (Child's Pose), then to Chakravakasana and finally up on our feet in Tadasana.  This is where we, with hands in Yoga Mudra over Hearts Center, did three OMs.  Exactly the surprise I needed. So different, the sound of the OMs.  Peaceful yet invigorating.  

Practice was not easy, we did a lot of Phalankasana (high plank) and Chaturanga Dandasana (low plank) in our asanas. Twists to get the toxins out.  Virabhadrasana I and Virabhadrasana 2 (Warrior) for strength against the universal warrior (ignorance).  All that made Adho Mukha Savasana (Downward Facing Dog) and Balasana (Child's Pose) both resting poses, so much more rewarding and restful.  Heidi encourages us to verbalize during class.  Well, the ahhing and groaning from four middle aged women in a Yoga studio on a Friday night, resulted in snickers.  When Heidi said "screaming is ok too" snicker giggle snicker giggle and then  "Oh, I wasn't going THERE" was said.  We all lost it.   Oh good grief, what are we going to do if men show up in the class?  Guess we, the Friday Night Yoga Chickens, have been so used to being the Friday Night Yoga Chickens will have to cross that road when we come to it?  Maybe answering the age old question of "Why did the chicken cross the road?".

Weather on tap for the weekend is fairly rainy.  Long run for tomorrow is 13 miles.  It will be a wet 13 miles, it will be 13 miles. Maybe more?

Sincerely,
Beth, the middle aged teenager

No comments:

Post a Comment