Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sharing Meals and Discussions

A long time friend of Hubb is in for the long weekend.  They've been off catching up on what is going on in their lives and I've had a bit of a chance to chit chat with him.  We all went out to dinner last night.  Late, like we didn't eat until after 8.  I was tired from my run yesterday and both guys agreed I looked exhausted, thanks guys.  So they let me lead the conversation.  Nice, the tired girl gets to babble...

Sage - Running
So we talked about running, or rather I talked, they listened and offered some opinions on things that have been bugging me.

A few months back in a locally written publication on running "Level Renner"  (yeah, take a minute and study the title, see what it is?  nifty eh?)  SO anyhow it is about old school running in New England and the writers write on the talent in the area and there are a few opinion pieces.  I find it interesting and inspiring and one article just ticked me off (read: made me think) I just had to talk about it. The article in Issue 8 July/Aug 2012 ( Page 22 "Taking the Race out of the Run" article).

Gizmo and Sage - Running

I want to be PERFECTLY clear I have total respect for the Level Renner magazine, the publisher, the contributors, and the articles.  They are well written, insightful, helpful, and inspiring.  What I love about other people's opinions, even if they irk me, is the simple fact they make me think.  Something or someone that can get me into the "whys" of my own thought process and belief process is freaking AWESOME.


Diesel and Gizmo - Running

The article in a nut shell was on how finisher medals are ruining the sport of running, that there has to be a winner and not everyone can be the winner, so why does everyone get a medal?  EJN makes fair points on the medal upping the cost of the race.  He notes, he doesn't disdain the finisher medal as it represents the time he took to train for the race.  He also makes a not so nice points about 'tourists' in races which is what I think I zeroed in on.  As I look at my bulletin board with all of my race bibs, and my three finisher medals pinned to it (my race bibs all have the time, date, race name on them - can we say geek?) I wonder, what difference does the finisher medal make?  To me, not a bit of difference.  What difference does the finisher medal make to someone else?  Well my conversation with Deb yesterday sussed that one out.  Remember Deb, the woman I met up with on my run back to Watch Hill?  The cancer survivor?  She said that there was such a thrill when she finished the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon and they put that medal around her neck.  To her it signified (eeriely similar to EJN) what she had accomplished.  She a cancer survivor, completed a 1/2 marathon and was given a medal by a princess.  This, my dear reader, nearly brought me to tears when I was running.

Jax - Running
So fast forward to pizza out with the boys last night and my blathering on about running and this subject of finisher medals came up and this article and my insecurity over runners who are faster than me thinking I'm not a real runner or worthy of running the same races as them.  Well, really, there are qualification only races out there  Boston Marathon, Gansett Marathon, to name two local to me.  So anyhoodles, both Hubb and his friend said that there are 'wackjobs in every passion' Hubb runs into them with his business, with his latest hobby of RC planes, his friend runs into it with furniture making and with wood carving.  In the span of 90 seconds these guys made me feel a lot less like a 'tourist' and more like a real competitor.  So yes, I have a passion for running, and no matter what the 'wackjobs' opinions are I belong and shouldn't feel insecure.  Thanks guys!

Gus - Running

Today was a long past due brunch with two gal pals.  We met at a swanky resort on the Long Island sound and had brunch and chatted for the better part of three hours.  I also got to deliver some Vernors to one friend and had both of them tell me if my feet looked fat in these new shoes.  My feet did not look fat in the shoes and they were both wicked jealous of the shoes.  Yes, guys, feet can look fat in shoes.  There was no "Margaret Thatcher" going on with my pretty red patent Joan & Davids with a cute bow on the toe box.  Guess which shoes I'm wearing on Tuesday!

Diesel - Running

One of the things we chatted about was my run with Deb yesterday.  I run by myself, I train by myself, this is a very singular inwardly focused thing for me.  Part of my running insecurity is why I don't tend to run with people, and I am just not used to being with people when I do things.  My passions have all been very single user focused, knitting, yoga, reading, see not really a group activity sort of thing... Although each lends it self to have some group components, but not a mandatory thing to be in a group.  Anyhow, I griped a bit about not really wanting to run WITH someone, but yet I found the conversation refreshing and it didn't bother me, but still I was having a lousy run and wasn't sure I wanted to run with someone.  Both my gals agreed that she just plopped into the middle of my "me time" it was OK for me to wave her off when I did, and either one of them would have waved her off sooner.  I do think she is very much accustomed to running with someone, as she belongs to a running club and goes to 'track practice' while I run on my own and run hills and do speed work on my own (which apparently takes discipline, who knew? it was on my schedule so I do it, I didn't think I had a choice).  Again, in the span of 90 seconds my feelings were justified, perhaps validated is the better word?

Jax and Gus - Running
It truly is amazing what the ability to just talk through something with someone or two someones who know you and what makes you tick brings such clarity to a situation.  It is OK to feel the way I feel.  I never want to harm or hurt anyone, and there is this ever present fear of disappointing someone or hurting their feelings that compels me to, well, not just say or do what I want.  Interestingly enough, in the end, like with Deb, I really learned something and got to meet a really inspiring and wonderful person.  Had I just said "Hey, not in the mood." I probably would have kicked myself for being mean and self centered.  Instead, I did learn something about someone else and about myself.  Or is this the optimist in me making silk out of a sows ear?


Sage - Running


Sincerely,
Beth, who's dogs have taught her sometimes it is fun to run alone, and sometimes it is fun to run with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment