Wednesday, July 18, 2012

WTF... Wednesday Thursday Friday, What Were YOU Thinking?

So we last left off after the Anywhere 5K and my first training walk for SGK...  That leaves Monday, Tuesday, and today...

To recap last week:  Running:  27 miles  Walking: 6 miles.  I am a little under my weekly mileage, but hey my weekly mileage is aggressive and it is freaking hot and humid (fact not an excuse).

Monday is TRX and a 3 mile run.  I enjoy TRX, eventually I will get the roll over plank with my feet in the straps.  Monday was not the day for this, so feet on the floor, and I managed for the full 30 seconds, 2x on both sides, that is a LONG freaking time! I didn't feel the muscle soreness I had felt in the past weeks, so it is time to step it up a little bit, I suppose.  Because of the heat and my absolute paranoia about passing out I didn't run till after TRX.  Took my happy little feet down to the ocean to run Quonnie.  Cute cute cute little beach, easy 3 miles at low tide.  Well it was high tide.  Kinda hard to tell from this picture of the Weekapaug Breechway how freaking high the tide was.  Still in all it is a pretty picture.

High Tide Weekapaug Breechway 

The sand was soft soft soft, the breeze was off the land so warm warm warm, but hey, it was the beach and I could run through the surf, and I did, and I loved it.  At the end I just stood in the surf letting it splash me.  I really should have taken off my shirt and dove in, it was just me and a guy who rode to the beach on his bicycle who jumped in and then sat at the bench at the top of the dune to take in the awesomeness of the Atlantic Ocean.  Next time I won't be so shy, my sports bra isn't revealing and if I am ever going to do a tri-athalon I need to get over my fear of the water!!

Tuesday was my New York day and a rest day.  Up at 5 a.m. and home by 10 p.m.  L.O.N.G. day.  I did get to see one of my gal pals and that makes the day A-OK!

Today, Wednesday, Hump Day, the beginning of WTF...  3 miles are on the schedule, remember I swapped my Thursday short run for the Wednesday long run.  So far this is working out well.  I am a little tired, and a teensy bit crabby on Wednesday so 3 miles is good.  I ran them after I got home from a very long and productive and rewarding work day.  Yeah, I'm one of those people who actually LIKES their job and LOVES their boss and and works with GREAT people.  We are one in a bajillion, we do exist!!!  3 miles around my neighborhood is hills and more hills, good thing I like hills!  The first 1/2 a mile wasn't as rough.  I tried something new.  Coach Julia said she walks the first 2 or 3 minutes and then runs.  I did this, and it actually did help that first massive uphill I need to do!  I can reset my Garmin to make that first bit of walking a lap and then I can accurately clock my slow as molasses in January pace in the heat and humidity.

Wednesday is also when I see Amy for a chair massage.  She always makes me feel like a rock star, and I love it!  I've been having problems with tight back and neck muscles for years, when she first started working on me 4 years ago, when I came to her unable to turn my head from side to side, she said it was like dealing with cement.  Eventually all the solidified fascia and muscle started to give way and the muscle memory went to a place of relaxing and letting her get her wonderfully pointy elbows in and break up more of the cemented together muscle tissue.   So I love my nearly weekly 20 or 40 minutes of Amy time.  My left trap has been tight, to the point of "standing at attention" as Amy calls it. I was worried it was the water bottle I carry when I run, and maybe it is, but she said and I noticed, that it was much more relaxed and my left shoulder wasn't trying to 'kiss my ear'.   Perhaps it was a bit of stress from the 1/2 on Saturday?

I did use the water belt on Sunday, for the 3 mile run and 6 mile walk.  I liked it.  I do need to run more than 3 miles with it to really get a good feel for it.  As a runner co-worker said about the belt, he likes it because it feels like it gives his lower back some support.  I don't know if I noticed that or not.  Possibly...

I will leave you with a picture of Gus, he turned 5 on Monday, we celebrated with some carrot cake all around, we all LOVED it!!  He is a handsome guy.  A rescue, I can't imagine our life without him.  It isn't easy to rescue a dog, challenging for both, most rescues have been abused in some way or another and they need to learn to trust humans again.  The first 3 - 6 months is an adjustment period, for every one.   Us figuring the dog out the dog figuring us out, everyone figuring where everyone else fits in the pack.  He is loved and he knows it and he loves us back.  Although I only think he loves me the most in the morning because when I get out of bed he jumps right into my spot, nestles his head on the pillow and falls back to sleep, awwwww.....

Gus at Quonnie, on the Quonnie Breachway

No comments:

Post a Comment